Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-29-2005, 02:45 AM

Default adventure with AJo

The guy that limp-reraised pf from MP was a bit of a donkey. Does anybody do this differently?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

River: (14.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB
Old 05-29-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: adventure with AJo

I think you played it perfectly. I wouldve cringed when it was already two bets to me on flop, but I think the 3bet was right as well as betting the turn when checked to. How are you reacting to a CR there? I like the call on the river here as well. Nice hand.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:10 AM

It looks good to me. I'm thinking MP2 might've missed his flush draw, with something like Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. But who knows? Maybe he's just got pocket fours or something. I think going for the overcall on the river is all right.

Maybe a case can be made for raising the river too, but I think it depends on your read for UTG as well as for MP2.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:21 AM

Yeah, facing two cold on the flop kind of sucked, but the guy that raised was pretty bad.

if he cr'd me on the turn, I think I honestly would have called him down, but I'm not sure how good that would have been.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:49 PM

Ok, well i play mostly 3/6 5/10, and i wasn't sitting at the table watching the players.

However i would have folded on the flop.. It's the UTG player you most have to worry about. He called a limp-reraise 2 bets cold, then leads into both of you on the flop.His possible hands 33, AQ, Ax, Suited Clubs, if he is very passive preflop QQ. The whole hand dosen't make a lot of sense, like a lot of low limit hands. Even if MP2 was a donkey a limp re-raise is usually a BIG hand. Had it been heads up i would have put him to task but with you calling two bets cold your in deep trouble. Heres the hands you could beat at this point: KK, KQ, QJ, AT or lower, JJ or lower. Hands that beat you that he likely has: AK, AQ, 33, QQ, AA.
Maybe the turn meant they were afraid you just made two pair with AK or a set of K's to beat their QQQ?

The bet on the river by MP2 makes no sense to me unless he is full of [censored] and was Aggro on 66 or A6. These don't seem like great players but i would have put one or both on 2 pair or a set, leaving you with few if any outs.

Even if they are idiots you will lose more times then you would win going ahead with this hand past the flop. This is exactly the situation that people talk about AJ losing a lot of money for you. You are likely dominated or beat by two pair or a set.

Unless these players routinely overplay rediculous hands your beat.. If you won this count yourself lucky because you won't in the long run.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:09 PM

anybody else's thoughts on this? Should I have laid it down when 2 back to me on the flop?
Old 05-29-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, well i play mostly 3/6 5/10, and i wasn't sitting at the table watching the players.

However i would have folded on the flop.. It's the UTG player you most have to worry about. He called a limp-reraise 2 bets cold, then leads into both of you on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so he called a lot of bets preflop and then stop and goes the flop. It could be a lot of possible holdings from a typical player in this situation. Maybe one of the scary things you listed, but also clubs (like you also said), Ax, middle pair, whatever.

[ QUOTE ]
The whole hand dosen't make a lot of sense, like a lot of low limit hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

So let's not be too hasty to give them credit then [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Even if MP2 was a donkey a limp re-raise is usually a BIG hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a donkey, no it's not. In fact, I give him less credit than just raising.

[ QUOTE ]
Had it been heads up i would have put him to task but with you calling two bets cold your in deep trouble. Heres the hands you could beat at this point: KK, KQ, QJ, AT or lower, JJ or lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

and clubs, but that's a lotta hands. I'm not ready to give up yet.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the turn meant they were afraid you just made two pair with AK or a set of K's to beat their QQQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably meant they were full of sht on the flop and now you get to value bet the likely best hand.

[ QUOTE ]

The bet on the river by MP2 makes no sense to me unless he is full of [censored] and was Aggro on 66 or A6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it doesn't really make sense. Donks like to donkbet. I'd call and collect my overcall.

[ QUOTE ]

Unless these players routinely overplay rediculous hands your beat

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the best part; they do! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Craig
Old 05-29-2005, 05:08 PM

thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if this hand is standard or what (although I can't imagine it would be..), but it seems kind of tough to get a few responses

maybe I need to change my name to CallMeEurotrash or Eurotrash_t [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

regardless - do you play this differently, or do you like the way it was handled?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
regardless - do you play this differently, or do you like the way it was handled?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I would've played it the exact same way.

[ QUOTE ]
maybe I need to change my name to CallMeEurotrash or Eurotrash_t

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, and then I'll be CallMeEurotrash_t_isAnit [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2005, 06:40 PM

If I were UTG and I hit any kind of a decent hand (like Ax), my first instinct would be to bet into the donk, expect him to raise, and see if that was enough to fold our Hero. If UTG reraises when it comes back to him, then you know the bet was for value and you’re probably in trouble.

I think I would just call the flop and see what UTG does. If he just calls there’s a decent chance you’re still good (you might be able to isolate the donk with a raise on the turn). If it comes around reraised and capped, I fold out. If it’s just one bet back to me, I’d call and release my hand on the turn if it’s unimproved.

Does that make any sense? I’m still on the new side.