Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 04-10-2005, 10:26 PM

Default There\'s No Crying In Poker

I saw something last night at my local B&M that I have never seen before. An abusive player made a dealer cry.

The player took a beat on a hand, and subsequently flipped a card across the table, which the dealer took exception to. They both raised their voices, and a floorman came over to settle them down. The player ended up leaving the game. Then while dealing the next hand, the dealer began to cry, and I mean she was bawling, tears running down her cheeks, short of breath, the whole thing. She couldn't even finish her down, and another dealer came in to replace her. Wow.

It got me thinking. There are not many professions where taking verbal abuse is part of the job. There is verbal abuse if you're a professional athlete, like a baseball player, or basketball player, or if you are a sports official, but I can't think of any others. Are there any?

Sparks
Old 04-10-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: There\'s No Crying In Poker

Healthcare worker - specifically a nurse.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:00 PM

Where's Tom Hanks when you need him? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is verbal abuse if you're a professional athlete, like a baseball player, or basketball player, or if you are a sports official, but I can't think of any others. Are there any?

[/ QUOTE ]

Retail, customer service, waiting tables... anything dealing with end consumers. People are assholes.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:04 AM

(this might be a good post in Brick & Mortar Cardrooms )

There are not many professions where taking verbal abuse is part of the job.

As a (male) dealer myself, verbal abuse is not tolerated at all. In fact we have signs on every wall of the room that state that dealer abuse is unacceptable. We have a three strikes rule.

One warning comes from me...something like, "Sir, relax and tone it down or you will be asked to leave." Sure, snide and immature little comments are frequent and usually ignored, but "abuse" is not (throwing cards, dropping f-bombs, name calling, etc.).

Second offense, the floor is called. Third time and he/she is tossed out.

The abuse used to bother me. Now it's just the same crap from different faces.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:55 AM

Dealer abuse pisses me off to no end. There's just no reason for it, and they shouldn't have to take it. With that said crying because the mean man yelled at her? Wtf is she 12?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:20 AM

Sometimes it's hormonal. Women seem to have imbalances more than men, but even men get them. You know, those guys who suddenly kill their whole family for no reason whatsoever? Neighbors, friends and family all are totally shocked because he was not a violent person. Yeah, most of the time there is something in the background, but every so often you hear of this guy whose testosterone levels suddenly went through the roof, making him emotional and homocidal.

With women, since our hormones are constantly trying to balance themselves out from month to month, we can go ape. I'm not even going to get into when menopause comes around, because that is so wacko (from what I've heard), that it deserves it's own post, lol.

I remember when I hit maybe 27, and suddenly about a day or two before my period, I started feeling crazy. I mean like angry, aggressive crazy. That girl who you just know is going to cook your pet rabbit, lol.

I thought I was going insane, but it just ended up to be an imbalance, and once my progesterone was increased, I went back to the same person I'd always been (very little "female" emotion).

Sometimes women just burst out bawling. It's completely uncontrollable. I was never much for crying, and usually only cried due to physical pain, but during that progesterone imbalance in my twenties, I would burst out bawling for no reason whatsoever, and I was really angry about it, as well as everything else in the world.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net
Old 04-11-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It got me thinking. There are not many professions where taking verbal abuse is part of the job. There is verbal abuse if you're a professional athlete, like a baseball player, or basketball player, or if you are a sports official, but I can't think of any others. Are there any?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? I worked in retail sales management for years and have been cussed out 1000 times and swung on twice.

My girlfriend is a waitress and I can't begin to tell you the [censored] that she takes on a daily basis. . .
Old 04-11-2005, 12:19 PM

Actually, physiologically speaking, males experience far greater hormonal (testosterone and androgen) shifts in one twenty-four hour period than women do in one twenty-eight day cycle (with regard to the corresponding estrogen and progesterone hormones). (It should be noted that for a small minority of men, however, the shift occurs over a thirty-six hour period rather than a twenty-four hour period.) These hormonal shifts are greater, as you might imagine, in adolescence and early adulthood. Some scientists speculate that the extreme upheavals in testosterone levels at those particular ages might contribute to some of the violence/rage (think school shootings) we see from younger males.

The upshot of all this?

Males can actually be way moodier than females. And think twice before pissing off your 'roid-bulked-out 22 year-old male dealer.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2005, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is verbal abuse if you're a professional athlete, like a baseball player, or basketball player, or if you are a sports official, but I can't think of any others. Are there any?

[/ QUOTE ]

Health care workers, teachers and correctional officers, just to name a few.