Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 12:43 PM

Default do you ever fold a set on the turn?

i just folded a set of 9's on the turn when it was 3 bet into me with a board of 8 9 j q. obvously atleast one person of the four people in the pot has a straight. someone might also have jq which would eliminate most of my outs. it was capped after i folded. the river was a queen and 2 players showed k t and split a $700 pot. was this a big mistake on my part?
Old 03-15-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: do you ever fold a set on the turn?

[ QUOTE ]
i just folded a set of 9's on the turn when it was 3 bet into me with a board of 8 9 j q. obvously atleast one person of the four people in the pot has a straight. someone might also have jq which would eliminate most of my outs. it was capped after i folded. the river was a queen and 2 players showed k t and split a $700 pot. was this a big mistake on my part?

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely huge mistake. and id have said the same thing if you didn't post that the Q paired.

-Barron
Old 03-15-2005, 01:15 PM

Once that I can remember. The action went like this:

Pot is capped pf 4 ways, I have TT. FLop comes QJT all diamonds. Turn is an A, and it comes two cold to me, I was getting just about the right price to draw, however, I though that the chances I were up against a higher set made it an easy fold.

The river was a T, which made me a bit crestfallen....but whenI saw AdKd drag the pot I felt a little better. Thankfully I was not at a bad beat jackpot table!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
was this a big mistake on my part?

[/ QUOTE ]

With 4 to a straight on board any Ten makes a straight so you it's not out of the question that multiple players could have a straight.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:41 PM

not enough info to provide a good opinion (ie what stakes, what was in the pot on the turn, what was the pre-flop action, would you be closing the action or are there players left to act) - however in a 5 way pot I would make the broad assumption that you are likley getting the right odds to see the river - easy fold on the river if the board does not pair up
Old 03-15-2005, 03:52 PM

there were 4 players (15/30). the pot was not raised preflop or on the flop. it was 3 bet on the turn before it even got to me so not only are there players behind me, it's likely to be capped since the action went, bet, raise, reraise, my turn.....part of the reason i folded was the possibility that someone had qj which would have had me paying 4 big bets and basically drawing dead.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:57 PM

depending on how big the pot was I think you have to call to see if you fill up
Old 03-15-2005, 07:19 PM

IMPLIED ODDS!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:47 PM

Its pretty simple, you need to win 17BB's on the end if we devalue to 8 outs. I'm not sure what the flop and preflop action was but it sounds like there is 13 or more BB's in the pot already.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:31 PM

I recall folding a set on the turn just once. That too, it was KKK but it was because I knew with certainty that I was up against AAA (i.e. very tight opponent who simply would never go 3 bets on the turn without the nuts which was AA at the time).

On your hand, you don't have a fold because when it goes three bets, you have to think that the raiser and 3 bettor have the straight...otherwise, why are they raising and 3 betting? That just leaves the bettor who may or may not have top two. Indeed, why is he betting into 3 opponents with top two given how easy it is for someone to have a straight. Enough doubt there that I would call. No doubt the pots odds are there for a ten outer. You may or may not have the pot odds for a 4 outer but you don't give the preflop and flop action for us to calculate.