Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2002, 06:07 PM

Default Should I ever limp with AA?

Good 7 handed 20-40 game at Mohegan Sun. I am two off the button w/AA. Middle player raises, I just call, thinking to draw in other players. The BB calls also, we see the flop three handed.

Flop comes Q-9-3 rainbow. BB checks, MP bets, I raise and BB calls.

Turn is 5, still rainbow. BB checks, MP checks and I bet. BB check raises, MP disgustedly throws it in.

Anyhow, BB called the initial pre-flop raise with 9-3 offsuit and caught two pair and took my aces down.

I can't help thinking that he would have been less likely to call preflop had I three bet it. Does it ever make sense to limp with aces?
Old 10-01-2002, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Should I ever limp with AA?

I sometimes limp with Aces,and you picked a good time to do it.You just got unlucky.I might limp if the game has been tight; it's been raised; its the raiser me and maby the big blind,Ill take my chances{for a turn raise],or lumps... [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 06:57 PM

Limping with AA is a form of slowplay. When you slowplay, you do so in the expectation that there will be extra money going into the pot (because more players will be putting money in on later rounds) and that the chances of winning a larger pot more than make up for the diminished chances of winning overall. It's better to win $200 one hand in five than to win $30 two hands in five.

It's tough to improve pocket pair, so it pays to put yourself into a situation where you have good chances of winning unimproved, which means having as few opponents as possible.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:19 PM

nothing good ever seems to happen when I limp with aces and kings.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:15 PM

Default Raise 110% of the time!

Old 10-02-2002, 05:33 AM

I think the only reason to limp preflop with AA is if you can expect a raise behind you. You then, naturally, would reraise.

In this case there was a raise in front of you. Since you already have one assured opponent I would have reraised right then and there. Every time.

Best of luck. Billy (LTL)
Old 10-02-2002, 04:19 PM

Default Re:Greedy dog

Do you remember the greedy dog proverb. He had a big bone but, when seeing his reflection in the pond, barked at the dog that also had a big bone and then they had none. You can make more money on the pots that you win but risk the ugly hand beat that you took. Your varience goes up with your greed. BTW - I'd have limped also in a 6 handed game.
Luck
John
Old 10-02-2002, 06:00 PM

Default Re: limp with AA? Are good enough to lay them down?

Do you play well enough after the flop to lay AA down?
When the board looks bad and you are getting pressure what do you do with this "monster"? AA can be a great trap hand, but be careful, you may end up being the one trapped. AA is only one pair....not a great hand against many players. Thats why its better to raise them out. BTW.... never limp with KK QQ etc. You must "try" to drive out Ace little. Back to AA. I will limp in late position when there are several limpers in front of me If a raise will not drive anyone out. I will slow play and wait for the flop and see the action before it gets back to me. Bottom line....IMO...you must play very very well post flop to ever limp with AA.

Old 10-02-2002, 08:09 PM

Default sure, rarely

If the table is playing very tight and you're in early position, or if there's one(or more) very aggressive players just on the other side of the button that you think will allow you to 3-bet, or to add a little variance to your play. That being said, other than short handed I can't remember the last time I didn't raise AA. And I always, always, always raise/re-raise/cap KK.