Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Equity Formula

Then I am still confused with the term. If you look at the way elmitchbo was using it, that is what he meant.

How about pot equity is the probability you have the best hand. And the 20% figure is simply your contribution?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know of a simple formula for determining your pot equity?

I have written one up that is accurate 95% of the time to within 5% of poker stove results. But it has a total of 38 factors. Is there anything easier out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran into the same problem when I was trying to write a pokerbot for draw5. I was able to easily quantify your chances of improving to a flush, straight, and straightflush, but it was hard to quantify the value of drawing when you held a pair in your hand.

Are you trying to write a Hold'em bot?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:38 PM

I don't know why everyone's having trouble with the term "equity".

Equity is simply how often you are going to win the pot. If you flip a coin, your equity is 50%. If you pick the number 6 and roll a dice, your equity is 1/6.

Betting is irrelevent.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you trying to write a Hold'em bot?

[/ QUOTE ]

No

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why everyone's having trouble with the term "equity".

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there are dozens of threads on 2+2 where the term keeps getting misused.

People say your equity is 20% if there are 5 players, but if you have a very strong hand, it is really 85%.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then I am still confused with the term. If you look at the way elmitchbo was using it, that is what he meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's what he meant, but it's not the right answer.

How much money you personally contributed into the pot doesn't have much bearing on pot equity. Once you contributed it, it's not your money anymore.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much money you personally contributed into the pot doesn't have much bearing on pot equity. Once you contributed it, it's not your money anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't what he meant either. He was referring to future bets, not money already in the pot.

When he talks about calling, he is referring to your decision on whether or not to call. If you have a 35% equity and 5 people will put money in, then you are contributing 20% to win 35%. He said nothing about money already in the pot.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:02 PM

exactly.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't what he meant either. He was referring to future bets, not money already in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, that's what you were asking, not him.

[ QUOTE ]

When he talks about calling, he is referring to your decision on whether or not to call. If you have a 35% equity and 5 people will put money in, then you are contributing 20% to win 35%. He said nothing about money already in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but that's not pot equity either. Your equity is the 35% that you're talking about. The 20% has nothing to do with it, other than deciding whether or not to make the call (or raise or fold)
Old 03-09-2005, 08:44 PM

The way I think of pot equity is in terms of how much of the pot I expect to win. ( this can be in $ or bet size ) The best example is if I flop a nut flush draw with four people in the pot, and bet out, if everyone calls I will have invested 20% of the pot with a 35% chance of winning. My pot equity is 20% but my pot equity edge becomes 15%, the difference between my equity and the chance of making my hand. This is called a +EV play to bet into the field rather than check and call, depending on the amount of callers. In this situation as long as two other people called I would be breaking even. Whew! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For example, Poker Stove says you have a hand equity of 84.9% if you hold AcQd and the flop is 5hQc7s. Against 4 opponents your pot equity is 20%, but your hand equity is 84.9%.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are assuming your opponents have random hands. I would argue that once a player enters the pot preflop, they no longer have a random hand.