Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Button Play

This may have been asked before, I did a search and could not find anything pertaining to it.

1. I am in a ten handed game and am the button.

2. Everyone folds to me.

3. Am I playing against two random hands in the blind or the does the fact that everyone else folded imply the blinds may have higher ranked cards.

4. I am strickly talking about probabilities not gut feel.

Thank you.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Button Play

wel how could you find that out? Wouldn't you need to know what they folded to have know what cards the blinds could possibly have?

Maybe 3 folded AK because they accidnetally clicked the wrong button [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2004, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Button Play

I have heard this concept discussed occasionaly and I believe the answer to your question is yes. Just like in blackjack, poker cards come from a finite set. People play higher cards with a much higher frequency. Their folding indicates they were holding lower rank cards. Clearly, the cards remaining in the deck are somewhat more likely to be high in rank. This is how players can make money at blackjack counting cards. It follows that if all fold to you on the button, it increases the likelyhood of the blinds having high cards in their hands. Of course, they could still have total junk; it's just a little less likely.
It's worth thinking about this when trying to steal. Don't get paranoid but up your requirements slightly above beating two random hands.