Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: I like poker.

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with the your statement that the chances that your hand is best are real. the only way they're real is if UTG is a huge LAG

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree this chance is small but I don't think it's zero, even after the 3-bet. There are a handful of hands an average player might play like this: 46, A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], AA, KK. I admit these aren't particularly likely, but it's not impossible.

/mc
Old 11-15-2004, 04:00 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: I like poker.

Monty, he 3-bet a check-raise and a bunch of calls. it takes more than baby two pair or a pair and a flush draw to do that. 3-betting a check raise takes a big hand. I rarely see it done with less than top two. this is an extremely scary situation for him to be in. I would be surprised if he didn't have a set. even 2 pair would surprise me. maybe I'm giving my opponents too much credit, but 3-betting without at least top 2 seems wreckless to me.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
Monty, he 3-bet a check-raise and a bunch of calls. it takes more than baby two pair or a pair and a flush draw to do that. 3-betting a check raise takes a big hand. I rarely see it done with less than top two. this is an extremely scary situation for him to be in. I would be surprised if he didn't have a set. even 2 pair would surprise me. maybe I'm giving my opponents too much credit, but 3-betting without at least top 2 seems wreckless to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

After I fold, UTG just calls LP's raise, UTG+1 3-bets, LP and UTG both call:

UTG has Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for top and bottom pair. (Surprise!)
UTG+1 has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the runner runner nut flush.
LP has Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for top pair crap kicker turned flush draw and rivered Q-high flush.

So as it turns out I was behind but had all 13 of my outs. Whatever.

The lesson I'm taking from this thread is that the plan I made at the beginning of the turn to cap it 4 ways was bad because it's only good if there's a small but non-zero chance of my hand being currently ahead, but if it gets capped that chance gets too close to zero.

Good plans can be adjusted mid-street to accommodate new information.

Thanks for the input.

/mc