Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2004, 10:02 PM

Default WPPA World Championship Poker Tour

During the Orleans Open, they were adversiting the "Majors" of Tournament Poker. Basicially, all the events will be held at the Orleans in Vegas. They are actively seeking a television contract. HEre's what the tournaments consist of:

Sep 16- Oct 6 -- The WPPA Championship of Poker (10 Events -- ranging starting at $1,000).

The others don't have individual schedules:

Nov 4-21 The Tournament Players' Championship of Poker

Jan 9-26 The Memorial Championship of Poker

Mar 11-28 The Masters Championship of Poker

May 1-31 The World Championship of Poker

Jul 1-31 The US Open Championship of Poker

Seems pretty interesting, but I ask you..you think tournament poker will come to a point where it'll be too satuated??
Old 07-26-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Re: WPPA World Championship Poker Tour

Yes. Should be within a year or two.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:39 AM

Of course. You can't find the saturation point unless you go past it and come back.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:14 AM

The trouble is, you reach the saturation point, and then the interest level drops to nothing. Look at Who Wants to be a Millionaire. It was great because it was only every so often, and there was a lot of suspense. So ABC did what every TV network does- it got greedy. It was 24/7 Millionaire. And it died pretty fast after. Then they cut it back, and no one watched it, they were burned out.

So poker will go the same way. WPT came once a week, and WSOP was once a year. We had something to look forward to. I still look forward to Tuesday just to watch the result of a tournament I already know what happened. But all these new tours will make it so that nothing is special, nothing will be that important since you can always wait a day to see it. So it will die out, and things will be worse than before the saturation point.

TV networks are like slutty girls. They see one girl be a slut, and have to be sluttier. Eventually, they outslut themselves and no longer become desirable. But the girl who is a tease who gives a small taste just when you can't wait any more is much more appealing in the long run.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TV networks are like slutty girls. They see one girl be a slut, and have to be sluttier. Eventually, they outslut themselves and no longer become desirable. But the girl who is a tease who gives a small taste just when you can't wait any more is much more appealing in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is getting WAY too personal.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 07-27-2004, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TV networks are like slutty girls. They see one girl be a slut, and have to be sluttier. Eventually, they outslut themselves and no longer become desirable.

[/ QUOTE ]

May be true, but that being said, I luuuuuuve sluts.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
May 1-31 The World Championship of Poker

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there will be some tough competition going up against this tournament.

As for all the constant complaints about the saturation of poker on TV, I think you're all worried about nothing. The comparisons people make with Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? are silly. That show was a primetime ABC program and had to maintain very high ratings to stay on the air. Poker has no such demands. The "big ratings" poker has been getting are very small when compared to primetime network shows. Poker could be getting less than half its current viewers and still be a very profitable show for any cable network.

Why not compare poker to baseball? Are there too many baseball games on TV each week? I think I could probably watch an average of 15 baseball games a week on TV. Yet, baseball has fear at all that people will stop watching the games.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:50 PM

Do those that are comparing poker with Who Wants to Be a Millionaire know that thee is a daily half hour version that is still running.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:29 AM

Well said Dynasty, I think you hit it right on the head. What makes me so mad is how much money the WPT and ESPN are going to make in this blitzkrieg television ratings raping while poker is as hot as it is, and how the player's have gotten none of the pie. This WPPA, from what I have heard, is a player's attempt to get a piece of the pie, but I do not know any more details than that. \

$55,000 ESPN paid for the WSOP I heard? Can that possibly be right?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:31 AM

I think that figure was negotiated as part of a long term deal in the days when they only showed at most 1 or 2 hours of the WSOP. You can blame the Becky Behnen Binion regime for that mistake.

Kevin...