Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 06-25-2004, 01:34 AM

Default Who\'s tournament advice would you listen too

Quick question...you're trying to learn how to play no Limit tournament poker..whose advice would you rather listen to:

Player A: Someone with alot of early knocked outs, but has a lot of top 3 finishes...

Player B: Someone who usually finishes close to the money, or has small money finishes, but rarely finishes in the top 5
Old 06-25-2004, 01:38 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Who\'s tournament advice would you listen too

player A. time is money, and with how top-heavy prize structures are getting 1st-3rd is huge. deals don't begin to be a big factor until around the top 5 anyway.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:47 AM

Both,

Player A is obviously a looser, more aggressive player, while B is a tighter player. Take the advice from both and try to decipher what both are doing right and wrong; I would guess they both are playing extreme styles, so combine what they have to say and learn two very effective strategies. If you had to choose, (either or question) listen to A, and play a bit tighter than what he/she recommends, while utilizing his/her aggressive tactics.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:03 AM

It really depends I think on how they got to those stages, what kind of stack player B has when close to the money and how big the sample size is.

It really is an interesting question imo. I have seen quite a few times players constantly suck out once itm and then go on to hit huge paydays in tournaments while I end up losing even though my money usually goes in with the best of it.

On the other hand, just because you are a below average stack once you make the money it doesn't mean you can't build your stack and do well geting to the final table.

There is a certain skill set that lets certain players always seem to eek their way into the top five or top three and you always wonder how did they get there.

Based on an analysis of sample size player B might not have that very important skill set.

My answer might be a bit fuzzy so take it for what its worth.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:47 AM

Considering that I think I AM player B, I'd say go with A in a heartbeat. I'm lacking something in my game that causes me to find myself shortstacked in almost every tourney I play. Sure, I can outlast most of the field and edge my way into the money more often than not but playing for multiple hours only to get under double the entry fee back is very very nonrewarding. Overall, I think I'm too tight and miss out on a lot of small pots I could pick up with selective aggression-- something that becomes an absolute necessity when the blinds grow.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:44 PM

That's my thinking...why play 3 hrs and win only double you buy in? Just doesn't seem a rewarding way to play. I think playing to win instead of play to survive is more rewarding in the long run...the risk is greater, but the reward is also high.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:21 PM

The problem with this thinking Balt is that I don't believethe person you described as person A exists. I don't think that risk taking early leads to more tournaments won. I think the guys that finish higher consistantly play like player B early, then seem to know when to change gears and make a run for the big prize. I don't think they bust early very often.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:24 PM

well i like player b... often ...i look at people who play real loose building a big stack early on and i check to see if they actually do come in the money... Often than not they rarely make it to the final table because they keep playing the same way throughout the game. Sometimes if it is a rebuy tourney i see them have a 10x lead over the whole table. When i check to see if they came in the money they often did not place and if they did it's usually not 1st place. They spent way more than what their actual winnings ...They usually get all cocky and don't know how to protect their big stacks. When they finally meet someone with half their stack and try to take em out...they find themselves giving half their chips to the opponent. They are not the big stack anymore. If you are playing aggressively with nothing...your basically playing with luck...so if your real lucky then you might win..The question is would you rather play with luck or skill? If you rather play with luck then u might as well play craps or something that doesn't require some amount of skill. Don't get me wrong i love luck. It will usually double triple your stack.
I've seen things like KK vs AA vs 44. yeah the 44 won..and he tripled his stack, but how often does that happen? The next time he goes all in with his small pockets..more than likely he will be losing half his chips or more..and if he does win again..it's just his day..

I think you need a little of both luck and skill. Luck will increase your chip stack fast, but the only way to protect it is with skill.. That's why being able to read people is important in poker... if you have small pockets and u think they have two overcards...you might want to take a shot if things like pot odds u have a overly big stack..things like that match up..there your a slight favorite..but if u think the guy has KK and u push in with your small pockets that's just plain dumb...when they have 80% to win over your small pockets.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:13 PM

Yup i agree with u david...not a lot of people who play aggressively make it to the final table. i mean u have to play agressively to win, but that's when u have something..u want to play tight..unless u got something then push them for all they got..