Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Help, I\'m getting raped online (long)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ed Miller's short stack strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

forgive the noob question but where can I read this...search hates me google does too

Straight Flushes,

SAM

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting Started in Hold 'em by Ed Miller.
Link
Old 12-12-2005, 03:30 PM

Here is a great example of why the number of posts someone has, is not a good indicator of how good a player they are.

Playing with a very limited bankroll and playing above his limits. Very very bad.

Take what's left of your bankroll and play .25-50 or .50-$1 until you have 300BB, then move up a level. Stay away from the NL until you have your bankroll in order.

Please do not post any more bad beat griping stories until you are playing 2-4 with at least a $1200 bankroll.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a great example of why the number of posts someone has, is not a good indicator of how good a player they are.

Playing with a very limited bankroll and playing above his limits. Very very bad.

Take what's left of your bankroll and play .25-50 or .50-$1 until you have 300BB, then move up a level. Stay away from the NL until you have your bankroll in order.

Please do not post any more bad beat griping stories until you are playing 2-4 with at least a $1200 bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that there is no relevance between post count and skill level. I believe that I can succeed, despite my short roll, and I believe that I am playing at the correct level- I am used to 25NL.

In no way is this a bad beat story, merely a pathway for advice on both building a short roll and handling the variance of online poker. What may be a standard day for you (sometimes +/- 4 buyins) is highly uncommon for me, a newbie at internet poker in general.

Do you think limit is the way to go? I have never played limit in my life, and I really didn't plan on learning a new game. The differences are immense, and don't you think this would hurt my NL game/remaining bankroll instead of helping it?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:02 PM

No, don't play limit you dingaling. You are a NL player. Play NL. You are so shortrolled now, you have to be very lucky to build a roll from your current amount. You have $500 you are able to put online, so if you lose what you currently have online, it's not the end of the world. Just play for now. Don't worry about the money. Just try to make the best decision each time, each hand, each decision.

And don't worry about Pokertracker. Too many people rely on that around here. I've been a consistent winner this entire year without it as my site doesn't support PT. I'll be using it now with PP, but I'm glad I became a decent player without it first, as I can read other players and don't need numbers to do so.

And if you want I'll look at a HH. PM me.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:17 PM

Yeah, ajmargarine has the right idea. PT is NOT crucial to playing effectively. Basically I've just been using it for table selection, and to judge when I should CB.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a great example of why the length of time a person has been registered at 2+2, is not a good indicator of how good a poster they are.

Orange, you may not have experienced the downside of variance yet, but you know it exists. When you're appropriately rolled for your game, it sucks. When you're underrolled, it can be devastating. This is the chance you take playing with 11 buy-ins.

Since you can't deposit more cash at the moment your options aren't real appealing, but here they are:

1- don't play until you can get your finances in order. This really won't kill you.

2-Keep playing, but learn to ignore the amount you win/lose each session and focus on playing good poker (which you know how to do). This is something you need to learn anyway, it's just easier when your roll is bigger. Disregard people's comments about needing PT. It's a tool for multitablers, and with you playing 2 it's only marginally helpful. If you take this route, even if you've dropped down to 10NL (which you should if it's possible), be prepared for the possibility you can play great poker and still lose the rest of your roll.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:19 PM

I'd also recommend NOT buying in small. You have a significant skill edge in the 10NL and 25NL games, don't negate it by dumbing the game down. It's not the end of the world if you dump the rest of your roll.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:38 PM

Take a serious break and re-examine your game. Learning limit is NOT A BAD THING. Poker theory from your NL game can help you with limit and for what it's worth, switching between the two has helped me a lot when trying to figure out my own play. NL isn't for everyone.

Also, don't lie to your parents or your friends about playing; be honest and explain yourself. If you get caught playing and depositing money after you've already been told no, you'll be in deep [censored] anyway and it will hurt your relationship with your parents
Old 12-12-2005, 07:00 PM

If you're on a short roll I'd try playing the .50/1.00 party poker limit games, especially the 6-max. Wait for some good cards and just jam on the bet/raise button. Almost any "2+2 approved" starting hand is +EV against most of the fish in these games.

Ok its a little more complex than that, but you get the idea. Players are HORRRRIBLE and IMO limit is a good way to practice postflop skills without losing a lot of money in the process. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Plus you only need about a $300 br to withstand the swings if you are a decent player.

FWIW I'm still a noob myself so take this advice with a grain of salt.

Steve
Old 12-12-2005, 07:07 PM

Go away.