Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Tribe loses hoffman, resigns wickman

They have to do something about right field. I went to several games at the Jake and I can't stand watching Blake's rainbow throws from the outfield. Why can we not get somebody with an arm? I think his batting this year proved that the last two seasons were a fluke. He's a career minor-leauger.
Something should be done about first base as well, but, wasn't Broussard a top prospect in the Reds organization when we got him? I thought he was AA batting champ the year before we aquired him and he had a "high ceiling" as Shapiro calls it. Maybe if someone worked with him to shorten his stroke and focus less on his [censored] music he could be a decent hitter.
I thought for sure the Tribe would trade for Danys Biaz. I like Wickman, he's got guts and sometimes that's enough, but Biaz could be around for years to come. We're going to go through this same thing next offseason. Acquiring Biaz would solve the closer problem for a few years.
Whatever happened to having a pitching-rich farm system? Why are they having problems finding pitching? Isn't that what they built their farm system on? Is there nobody down there who can be effective as a middle reliever?
Get rid of Riske.
R.I.P. Hal Lebowitz.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:18 AM

"Sauerbeck will be able to fill in for Howry, even though it is a shame to see him go."
Sir, you are aware that right-handed hitters hit .377 agains Mr. Sauerbeck last year, right?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:32 AM

"Whoa whoa, let's not get carried away here. "
Lee did finish fourth in the Cy Young voting this year.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:45 AM

I can deal with blake as he is solid in the out field, but for christ sakes, get a 1b that can hit.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:58 AM

Have you seen Blake throw the ball? It's actually quite sad.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:24 AM

Blake was serviceable in the field last year, broussard is one of the best defensive first baseman in the league. He's got a good stretch and is quick on balls hit down the lind, and can make the pick. given a choice i would keep broussard and dump blake, but broussard doesn't look like hes going to pan out as far as being a full time big league hitter. mayge a platoon/defensive replacement guy.
Cabreara is clearly our coser of the future. After his performance last year that much is obvious. So they got wickman for one more year. hes going to be the 8th inning guy this year (if not immediately then early in the season he will be put in that role)- seing his stuff and his poise already he gives you the hope he could be a riviera. Ahh, so nice to dream.
Beaz was a head case with us, there was reason we didn't try harder to keep him when we had him. There was some bad blood there when he left no need to drag it back up.
Garciapara intrigues me more and more. But hes only 6'- not really what i want at first base. Can he play right? Can he have an ob% of higher than 350? can he get a clutch hit? We need a guy in the bottom of the lineup ewho can take walks and wont freeze up in the clutch or we will melt down in big games time and again.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:04 PM

You know, I wasn't even thinking about Cabrera, you're absolutely right about him. He has good stuff and was very poised last year. Whatever happened to the guys they've traded for to add a right-handed bat, Ludwick and that guy from Toronto. What about the guy they traded Gerut for? What about the guy in AAA that was hitting home run after home run in spring training? I don't remember his name off hand, he's a Spanish player. I