Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Party 1/2 beginner help

[ QUOTE ]
i 5 or 6 table the new 1/2 sh tables

[/ QUOTE ]

Suprised no else thought this was a problem. I would suggest spending some time one-tabling (two at most) so you can work on getting real reads and altering your play based on the flow of the table. This may not be an option if you absolutely need the money to pay bills but if your goal is to improve, you have to do it. Reads are much more important in SH than FR. Full play is so much more predictable. 6max is about getting value in marginal situations and you are giving up a ton playing to many tables.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 PM

yeah i probably will be cutting it down. i do use PAHUD for reads though and i feel that that at least accomplishes something
Old 12-08-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i probably will be cutting it down. i do use PAHUD for reads though and i feel that that at least accomplishes something

[/ QUOTE ]

Stats aren't reads.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:09 PM

Stop 6-tabling and start off with 2 or 3 tables max so you can learn the game better. I think you should be folding your SB to steal a lot more than you're currently doing. I think it should be somewhere in the 80-85 % region.

Raise more preflop. Definitely go to showdown a lot more. You are winning at showdown a ton, but it would probably be more profitable if you go to showdown more and lose a few more pots at showdown.

Biggest advice: Cut down the number of tables. If you're going to want to move up to the higher limits, you're going to have to fix some of these leaks. They will only be more glaring at the higher limits.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:16 PM

great advice guys, keep it coming please! if anyone could address my question here i'd appreciate it:

[ QUOTE ]
let me be more specific. let's say i have AK and am going up against the BB and the flop comes 2 6 7 or something and he bets out. how can i call that if i don't have pot odds since the pot's like $5. that seems to be such a common situation here. i'm almost always raising of folding here. is that wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

as an addition, let's also say that the button cold-called and i'm in mp
Old 12-08-2005, 11:36 PM

Reads on BB matter in that hand. If he will bet str8 draws/overs, you can call down. If he only bets pairs, i'd call and hope to catch the turn.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:58 PM

Hi Leehrat-

I'd like to echo the excellent advice you're getting here about multitabling: When you're learning a game you need to do 1 to 3 tables. I learned this the hard way by trying to learn 5/10 fourtabling, and now I think I suck so I can't even two table the game. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, your fold SB to steal should prolly match your VPIP or be somewhat close to it. Fold BB to steal is probably fine anywhere between 50 and 70%. Your WTSD is low but mine is pretty low too ... anyone know the best way to raise this? More calling down with second button?

Your PFR should only be 6 or 7 points lower than your VPIP, so get it up to 16 at least. Easiest way to do this is bring up your steal attempts to 35 % at least ... don't go above 40 tho.

Standard disclaimer: Stats are stats and they are only indicators of larger problems. Post individual hands if you want to improve more.

Oh, and in your AK example ... if villain is an unknown it's a split between calling, folding and raising. It really depends on the player. But I'd guarantee this isn't where you're losing your money ... it's whether you're deciding to continuation bet QTs in position against 4 players on a 456 rainbow board.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
let me be more specific. let's say i have AK and am going up against the BB and the flop comes 2 6 7 or something and he bets out. how can i call that if i don't have pot odds

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what we are talking about here. There is no "standard" line. It is read dependent - so you must have a read. There is no way to get reads playing 5 tables. HUDs only tell you a partial truth (does that make it a lie?). Has the villian been showing down garbage? Does he call with any piece of the flop? Does he autobet the flop after being raised preflop? There are 20 other questions that have to be answered. Against an unknown I raise this most of the time but it is much better to have a read and know that if I'm reraised that I'd better fold the turn UI. But remember that AK does have showdown value HU in 6max. So sometimes you will end up calling down with top pair or ace high. Sometime you look stupid and sometimes you pick off a bluff. HU you opponent gets a piece of the flop <1/3 of the time.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:15 AM

thanks a lot dietlime very insightful. i'll probably start 3-tabling 1/2 now (any less and i'll die of boredom) and move up to 3/6 once i close the leaks
Old 12-09-2005, 12:27 AM

3 is too many. But, I know you probably have your mind set on that. Let me suggest you add one table at a time. So do whatever you do to find a table. Sit there for at least 15 minutes at just that table (oh the agony). By that time you should have at least one note on each player (hopefully several). Oh, you do take notes don't you? Yep, another skill that's helpful shorthanded. After 15 minutes add the second table, play for another 15 on the 2 tables and get your reads. Then add the 3rd. You will play more hands 3 tabling 6 max than you played 8 tabling FR.