Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-06-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Using \"Democrat\" as an adjective

[ QUOTE ]
Funny coming from the guy who got his undies in a bunch when GHW Bush was referred to in a way not appropriate, yet refer to President Clinton just as "Clinton."

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 03:13 AM

"voters respond more negatively to 'Democrat' than 'Democratic'

No doubt. Democratic can be confused with democratic, and we all like democracy. But Democrat had the same feel as bureaucrat.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:11 AM

The example in the op isn't an adjective, it's still a noun. "Democrat President" is a compound noun phrase, like 'the Africa report' or 'the poker site'.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So if someone is a monkey, and also president, you can say that someone is the worst monkey president we've had. monkey is still a noun.

[/ QUOTE ]

lolzzz!!1!1
Old 12-06-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stop trying to rationalize this as something other than a petty politcical tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of the first time I became aware of someone running for the office of POTUS not referring the the sitting president as President (name).

It was Bill Clinton. He just could not bring himself to refer to G.H.W. Bush as President Bush. It was always Bush. Seemed petty and childish to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Let's take a look:

From an October 1, 1992 speech as reported in the Baltimore Sun:

[ QUOTE ]
"The real danger is that in a time of wrenching, sweeping change, under President Bush we will cling to tired, outdated notions that do not work and cannot inspire," [Clinton] said.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the 10/2/1992 issue of the Washington Times:

[ QUOTE ]
"President Bush's ambivalence about supporting democracy, his eagerness to befriend potentates and dictators has shown itself time and again. It has been a disservice, not only to our democratic values but also to our national interests," Mr. Clinton said in a speech sponsored by two Milwaukee-based world-affairs institutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a 9/22/1992 story in the Boston Globe:

[ QUOTE ]
Clinton himself noted he had received an endorsement over the weekend from retired Adm. William Crowe, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. "Adm. Crowe has more credibility on truth-telling than President Bush," Clinton said.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a 9/16/1992 story in the Washington Times:

[ QUOTE ]
"I do not want to imply there will be no cuts. There will be cuts, but I want a stronger role for the Guard and the reserves than is called for in President Bush's force plan," Mr. Clinton said.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a 9/14/1992 story in the Seattle Times:
[ QUOTE ]
"President Bush and his administration would do anything to stay in power but make you better off," Clinton told a cheering crowd at Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, it sure looks like Clintion "just could not bring himself to refer to G.H.W. Bush as President Bush." Petty and childish, indeed. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When referring to a member of the Democratic Party, I prefer the word dumocrat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh yes, the scintilating analysis and biting wit we have all come to expect. Thank you for posting. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 11:10 AM

So, while ex-Governor Clinton was campaigning he managed to say "President Bush" a total of five times? And, gee whiz, I missed all five of them.

Or maybe his refusal to use the man's title was so overwhelming I formed an incorrect memory. Should I apologize? Or send his campaign managers a belated note of congratulations?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, while ex-Governor Clinton was campaigning he managed to say "President Bush" a total of five times? And, gee whiz, I missed all five of them.

Or maybe his refusal to use the man's title was so overwhelming I formed an incorrect memory. Should I apologize? Or send his campaign managers a belated note of congratulations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, now. Do you seriously believe that these were the only five times? Here's a hint: to test your statement, I ran a search of a large commercial news database for the word "Clinton" within 3 words of "speech", date limited to between mid-April and mid-October 1992. There were well over 2000 article hits. I then searched within those articles for the phrase "President Bush". There were over 1000 hits. I then browsed the hits, which are presented in reverse chronological order, for actual Clinton quotes. I stopped looking after five, because five within a few weeks are enough to establish that you are wrong. I am quite confident that I could find more. Care to place a wager on it?

I am not going to speculate on the reasons for your memory. It is sufficient to say that your memory is disconnected from reality. For example, you said in your original post that Clinton referred to Bush as just "Bush". I did not see that in the articles I browsed. I saw "President Bush", "Mr. Bush", and "George Bush", but never just "Bush". I'm not saying that it never happened, but the suggestion in your post that it was pervasive is just as wrong as your assertion that Clinton refused to refer to the President as "President Bush". Whether your faulty memories are a result of some hostility to Clinton on your part, hostility to the Democratic party, or some other reason is not particularly relevant.