Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Why would anyone raise 2x the blind?

[ QUOTE ]
Min-raising first in seems quite effective though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Min-raising EP isn't so horrible. Theres something to be said for keeping the pot small when out of position - even when you have AK or 10 10 or so...

I expected to get a laugh out of this thread but instead actually learned a lot from a couple of the responses...esp Eastboy's thanks...

Quick story:
First hand of a Stars SNG. Entire table limps in. Small blind completes. A family pot in the first hand? No...wait....The big blind min-raises. I laughed very loud. I laughed louder when he folded to the generally samllish reraise. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 05:07 AM

I think a lot of people do it because there is a button for it. On UB you see a lot more people betting the pot. I think a lot of people want to raise, and find the raise button the most convenient.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of people do it because there is a button for it. On UB you see a lot more people betting the pot. I think a lot of people want to raise, and find the raise button the most convenient.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit to being lazy sometimes and min-raising what would always be a 2.5x raise if I played it live. I'm tring to break myself of it.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Not sure if everyone wants to convince Party to add a "bet pot" button.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Not sure if everyone wants to convince Party to add a "bet pot" button.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, yeah this would not be good since the bet pot allows players to play better unintentionally.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:10 AM

I've minraised like that to test for a limp re-raise by an early player. If he comes in for a big raise, I dump the hand.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Many people do that w/AK; miniraise a pot with a few limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say that. This opponent did it 5 or 6 times, but the only time his hand was shown down, he had AK offsuit.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 AM

One other reason I think can to minraise is for deception value. Other "good" players like you guys will be confused by it. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 02:57 PM

There are in fact fanatic anti-minraise 2+2ers out there, as you suggest. It’s fun watching them go “InstaTilt” when they are one of the limpers and you minraise from a blind. Chat can get real animated for a while. During which time they may be busier giving lessons or criticizing than playing their cards. Occaisionally well worth the entertainment value.

(And before somebody bothers to point it out, I was as guilty as anyone else of doing this out of ignorance early on in playing online.)

Doc
Old 12-06-2005, 03:13 PM

The thing that would scare me about using the min-raise is you have done nothing to define the BBs hand or any other limpers that entered before.

The BB could be playing any two to a min-raise, so funky two pairs or trips on a paired board are a real possibility if the BB plays back at you.