Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: nuclear war

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the scenario is also absurd because there is absolutely no point in killing 99.9% of the population either.

All major military bases and infrastructure would be targeted and destroyed. Why waste nukes on cities and people that would then be defenseless?

The smart dictator would enslave our people and use them to make gold-plated Rolls Royces, not nuke them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he would enslave us and make us play online poker until we take every last fish's money to put into his "Destruction of the world" fund. At least that would be fun for a while. Until he decided to cash out his "Destruction of the world" fund.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Id be willing to bet that we could shoot down/stop 95% of long range balistic missles. Even if we couldnt shoot 1 down, to kill 99.9% of the US's population it would take prolly hundreds if not thousands of warheads rendering the planet [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knows about the missile shield, my guess is even the people building it don't know. But, let me ask this, why are some people wanting to save everyone else, including the Russians who elected the dictator (or failed to overthrow him), when you are going to die an agonizing death. (Am I right in believing that the bulk of Hiroshima and Nagasaki casualties did not die in the immediate blast?). Fudge them, I am pushing the button, cause if I got to go, then so do you. Know what I'm sayin'? Peace ...
Old 12-01-2005, 02:11 AM

It's not just revenge. It also [censored] over Russia so they can't do that to anyone else as easily. Why would they stop with the US? It's actually the best solution for protecting mankind.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You would lose this bet and then get blown away by all the nukes. What gives you the idea we are able to shoot down ANY ICBMs in flight? the Sci-Fi channel?

[/ QUOTE ]

well first of all 1/2 or more of the population does not live near any military targets. second of all we do have the technology to detect, track and shoot down things that are flying at us.

For one thing, we have great inteligence. We likely know of most ICBMs and where they would launch from. The US and canada also has an extremely sheltered (like 2 miles into a mountain), supremely high-tech facility for tracking all air planes, things in space around us and other things that fly such as ICBMs.

ICBMs are not small. They travel very fast and need a lot of fuel. This is not something that can "sneak" by our radar/satalites/whatever. Once we know they are coming i would assume we have a few mins to shoot them down. Rail gun technology has existed for some time now (id guess 30 years). The projectiles we are capable of firing travel at ungodly speeds (far exceding escape velocity) with great accuracy. Also we can shoot our own nukes at the ICBMs in flight. IIRC they would be travling out of our atmosphere or close to it.

Russias (or whoevers) best bet on hitting us w/ a nuke/s would be 1) short range missles fired from planes or subs, 2) sneaking nukes onto passanger planes from their country destined to ours, or 3) some other method of sneaking nukes into our country and detinating them remotely
Old 12-01-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do people not know they we've spent billions on a missile shield that doesn't even come close to working yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

this has to be hippy BS. Show me a link. How in the hell would we be able to "sheild" our country from missles? If its possible the technology doesnt exist yet.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
99.9% of the US's population will be killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is ridiculous.

Also, we have the capability to intercept missiles, but due to a variety of complex reasons it's not 100% accurate. But if we were really keying in on something, given enough time, we'd get it.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do people not know they we've spent billions on a missile shield that doesn't even come close to working yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

this has to be hippy BS. Show me a link. How in the hell would we be able to "sheild" our country from missles? If its possible the technology doesnt exist yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt you just say inthe post above that it is totally possible for the US to track and shoot down ICBMs with our fantastic rail guns and other nukes? You just contridicted yourself in like 15 seconds, congrats.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For one thing, we have great inteligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I love most of all.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt you just say inthe post above that it is totally possible for the US to track and shoot down ICBMs with our fantastic rail guns and other nukes? You just contridicted yourself in like 15 seconds, congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

goolgle "rail gun"

you can even find video of small MIT rail guns and other "home made" rail guns.

"missle sheild"? thats science fiction.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

For one thing, we have great inteligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I love most of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have great typos. and speling.