Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2003, 08:05 AM

Default How bad was my play?

Friday night 20-40 at Foxwoods. I am on the button and call with 8-9 of clubs. Both blinds play and a total of five of us see the unraised flop.

Flop comes 8-9-9, two diamonds. Wow! Small blind bets out, large blind raises. Fold, Fold, I decide to call to keep the small blind in the pot and I plan on raising the turn.

Turn is 5c, making a possible straight. Again, small blind bets, large blind raises, I think about it and flat call. I am hoping someone is on a flush draw and hits the diamond on the river.

River is the King of diamonds. Now I am up against a possible flush or straight. Small blind checks, large blind bets, I raise. Small blind folds. Large blind reraises, I reraise, we each reraise twice more he thinks about it and calls.

I lose to kings full of nines.

I know the results of this hand was ugly for me, but did I play it correctly?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:27 AM

Default Re: How bad was my play?

I'd raised the turn, and I wouldn't reraise as many times on the river as you did. If he reraises me the second time, he has to have a very strong hand. Think about, you also lose against 99 and K9. However, apart from that you played it allright and just got unlucky.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:38 AM

Not a bad play. I've however pretty much stopped slowplaying my big hands, the reason being: if you don't bet or raise, they can't raise or reraise. In this case any 9 will likely smoothcall your flop 3-bet and checkraise you on the turn (I love that [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]).
Old 11-10-2003, 08:43 AM

Default Sorry, I got to be stoned

99 is of course impossible, unless it's a fake deck. Sorry about that! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2003, 10:18 AM

I think the pot was big enough that unless you've got an unbeatable hand, you should ahead and raise the turn. Even when you do have that unbeatable hand, you'll probably do better to raise. Draws might call anyway. There is nothing sweeter in poker than collecting $$ from those who are drawing stone cold dead. IMO-
Old 11-10-2003, 03:50 PM

i would raise on turn for sure if i didn't raise on flop. then after that if he check raise on river, i will know better to just call.

kenny