Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Live hand--Top two turns nuts line check...

Stakes: $2-$3-$5 Blinds $500 No limit, $10 to bring it in.
Principal Players:
Big Buff Dude [BBD] on my left (~$1500) - Aggressive preflop, and likes to call with a lot of draws.
Garland (~$800) - Tight aggressive image. A few hands earlier, I induced a $200 river bluff from AQo from another guy on an 886T5 board with 2 diamonds on flop (no more diamonds appeared).

BBD is UTG and limps, 3 other limpers, other blinds fold, but I call $5 in BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop ($55): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I bet $45, BBD calls.

Turn ($145): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet $50, BBD quickly calls.

River ($245): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check...

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Garland
Old 11-26-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Live hand--Top two turns nuts line check...

Flop looks good... Turn I would bet more, say 100, primarily because you want to give the guy the impression your charging him for a draw... River, I love the check because if he is on a draw here he can't call another bet and you give him a chance to bluff. If he had the case king he will certainly bet and then you will stack him cause he will feel committed.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:50 PM

If im gonna bet this turn its gonna be pot or nothing at all, what do u want him to put u on if u bet 1/3rd pot other than something that doesnt mind the flush hitting?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:36 PM

On the turn I'd go ahead and bet 120 or so, this makes it much easier to get your whole stack in regardless of what villain holds.

Say he has a K too. He's most likely not folding, he may even raise you. If he just calls the turn then you can check or bet the river depending on your read. If you think he's going to bet a K or a busted draw on the river then a check would be good.

If he has a draw, he's calling a pot bet.
The key is making it look like you're scared of something. If he has some kind of draw you want to make it look like he's still drawing live. If he hits his hand on the river you stand to double up with any line you take on the river. If he misses on the river he may bet if checked too, though I think it would be a difficult bet to make since you've already caught him earlier.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he misses on the river he may bet if checked too, though I think it would be a difficult bet to make since you've already caught him earlier

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't catch him earlier. It was a different player altogether, although he was there to witness it. In the JJ vs AQo hand, I made sure to hem and haw for awhile to make it look like a difficult decision although I knew for certain I was calling any river bet.

Nice to see you again, and thanks for your thoughts Jeremy.

Garland
Old 11-26-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the JJ vs AQo hand, I made sure to hem and haw for awhile to make it look like a difficult decision although I knew for certain I was calling any river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Badass.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:36 AM

Flop is good.

Turn bet $100 there, that's a terrible bet, looks very sketchy.

River bet 1/2 pot or maybe pot.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:29 AM

Bet more on the turn, just enough to charge a draw without actually scaring one off.

On the river, it sure looks like he doeesn't have a king, so check/raise allin.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Results and thoughts...

I posted this specifically with the turn in mind.

The reasons I bet so little on the turn are multi-faceted:

(a) I play a lot of poker online. When the board pairs, and I fill up, most opponents with draws tend to shrivel up and fold to a pot-sized or near pot-sized bet. They cannot be confident and raise or bet confidently even if they do hit. I don’t know exactly how this translates to live poker, but I absolutely could not risk him folding. I bet an amount that guarantees that I get called. There’s a certain pleasure in making my opponents pay for drawing dead.

(b) I’m setting him up for failure on the river regardless of what he holds. I’m feigning (thanks Diablo) weakness on the turn implying I don’t have the K to set him up on the river. My plan was to check any river. If he hits the draw, he bets and I check-raise all-in expecting a call (players are that bad here). If he misses, I hope he bluffs, and I pick him off. If he has the case K, he doubles me up.

(c) While my opponent is aggressive, I consider him pretty standard inflicted with what one calls “owncarditis” meaning he only plays his own cards and not mine. Against a strong opponent, I would definitely make a full bet, but decided he was weak and did what I did.

(d) If I’m wrong and he has maybe a bottom pair of a 7, he’ll be more inclined to call.

Anyways, here’s how the river action went:

I check, BBD bets $200, I go all-in. He hems and haws for a long time. With a draw, I expected him to just muck immediately. But he genuinely just postures for 20-30 seconds. So either he has a busted draw and is just acting or it’s possible he has a 7. He finally folds.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Garland