Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-20-2005, 03:25 PM

Default obvious stuff vs high vpip players

I play against a lot of guys with vpips over 45 or 50 in 6max.

coming from full-ring, these guys used confound the hell out of me because I could never steal their blinds, and I could never bluff these guys out on the flop.

I felt like I would blow off too much of my stack bluffing at these guys when they have a hand they won't lay down, and I was getting owned.

I’m not talking about the maniacs. I’m talking about the loose guys who actually try to play poker when they get into a hand.

So I sat down and consciously tried to get inside the head of the 50 vpip guy, and come up with an effective counterstrategy.

Generally, there are a couple of mistakes that these guys are notorious for that tight full ring players tend to not exploit.

1) They are only barely trying to read your hand. When you bet, they tend to assume you have a pair or better. When you raise, they’ll tend to call and fold the next street UI. If you obviously have whiffed overs, they'll make you pay.

2) They play straightforwardly postflop. Sometimes you’ll run into the loose guy who plays so many hands that he has to be playing fit or fold. The difference is that these guys tend to think that catching top pair or holding a mid pocked pair is unbeatable vs your unimproved overs and will tend to raise if that is their read. Occasionally they’ll raise to “find out where they’re at.” Generally though, if they bet into three people on a 7 high board, your ATo is behind.

3) These guys get timid when you show a lot of strength pf, or when they get three-bet after raising for info. Some will just go into call down mode. Others will just fold the next street UI. Know the difference.

4) They overdefend their blinds and can find a fold on the turn if it misses.

Again, this is obvious – but it is slightly different from the full ring feel because it requires more aggression.

Value raise more. Remain strong with UI overs. Read their hands better than they read yours. Find a fold if a bet doesn’t make sense for a hand you beat. Find a raise if it does.

Obvious stuff.