Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-13-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: AKs.

I think it's close between raising or calling the flop. The arguments on either side are based on very subjective ideas of your opponent's motives, and are basically all moot without reads. If you flat call the flop, check the turn and call the river. If you raise the flop, try to get a cheap showdown if called, especially after that turn.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:26 PM

The one thing that should be clear to all of us is that betting this turn is bad.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:53 PM

I used to freeze up when someone led into me with a board like this and I would flat call like you did. Then they would bet the turn and I would be in the same spot. Calling in NL sucks.

I raise here every time now. I'll check behind on the turn if he calls. Ive done much better with this line.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:44 PM

Given his actions (and your PFR) I would put him on the next hands:
1)AA, AK, AQ, KQ, QQ, QJ, JT, 99 or a stone cold bluff induced by you calling (not reraising) his weak flop bet.

If you had reraised his flop bet, his possible hands would have been:
2)AA, AK, AQ, KQ, QQ, JT, 99

So when the river Q hits you:
in case 1) you only beat the bluf
in case 2) you beat nothing
So raising or callng a raise is bad since you only beat a bluff.

You should have either reraised the flop, or checked the turn.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think there is a problem when a one quarter pot lead, into the pre flop raiser who has shown tons of strength, in a 3 way pot that is very likely to have helped Hero, by a 6xBB preflop cold-caller, from the SB, when you have top pair top kicker is utterly confounding to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at this board, sir. This is not Limit, TPTK is not the nuts. Once more, it just comes down to what you put Villain on. I usually think of this as a big hand. Since it's such a small bet and I have a pretty good hand, I'll call and evaluate the turn. The drawing hands aren't very live so I can risk just calling here in the unlikely scenario of a gutshot betting.

Most of my call hinges on the fact I expect to figure out whether I'm ahead or behind by the turn for as cheap as possible. I see raising blowing off hands that are already far behind and keeping in the monsters that will most likely leave me stacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you mind KJ KT, QJ folding to the flop raise.

this is not a way behind way ahead.

this betting the turn just because he checked sucks precisely because you don't know what to do when he checkraises.

he knows you don't have a monster on the flop like a set otherwise you would have raised.

I don't know why you like your line so much. if you want to keep the pot small, keep it small and check the turn. if you give a free shot you give a free shot. at least you are losing a small pot. this I bet the turn but I can't stand any heat crap sucks. if you are so sure of your likelyness to be ahead on the turn, then pushing after the checkraise should be a no brainer but its not a no brainer which means you aren't so sure you are ahead on the turn.