Seat 6: YouGotScoopd ( $55.87 )
Seat 7: tubby223 ( $26.01 )
Seat 8: BTW2005 ( $67.65 )
Seat 9: Ardipithecus ( $182.04 )
Seat 10: CashOut21 ( $34.95 )
Seat 3: VaderBoy1977 ( $43 )
VaderBoy1977 posts small blind [$0.25].
FkUChasers posts big blind [$0.50].
kewlhead posts big blind + dead [$0.75].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to VaderBoy1977 [ Ac 4s 2c Kh ]
Armourofpeen calls [$0.50].
YouGotScoopd folds.
tubby223 folds.
BTW2005 folds.
Ardipithecus calls [$0.50].
CashOut21 folds.
kewlhead checks.
NateCull folds.
VaderBoy1977 calls [$0.25].
FkUChasers checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Ks, 7c, Ah ]
VaderBoy1977 bets [$2.65].
FkUChasers folds.
Armourofpeen calls [$2.65].
Ardipithecus calls [$2.65].
kewlhead folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2h ]
VaderBoy1977 checks.
Armourofpeen bets [$10.20].
Ardipithecus calls [$10.20].
VaderBoy1977 calls [$10.20].
** Dealing River ** [ 9d ]
VaderBoy1977 checks.
Armourofpeen is all-In.
Ardipithecus calls [$28.32].
VaderBoy1977 calls [$28.32].

I think preflop is fine, but I could see raising (I am not a huge fan of raising out of the blinds and since WM had been outplaying me on several hands I was being a little more cautious).

I flop top 2 on a fairly ragged flop wihout much preflop action and I have a decent low draw to go with, so I think a pot bet is in order.

I think I screwed up on the turn. I show weakness, so a low with no high could be putting pressure on me (which is why I donkey out and check call down). My actual thoughts at the time were that I was probably still good for high and might be quartering 2 nut lows so I call. If WM doesn't come along I probably fold here too. I think my mistake was defining my hand too much. Once I check, I obviously have a high only hand that doesn't want to put in too many chips freerolling a made low. I think a better line would have been to bet out on the turn. Now if I am raised, I can safely fold and save the river bet.

I don't think I would have gotten to the river had I played the hand better, but I call on the end, because that is the point of checking marginal hands right? Hopefully he is betting with a worse 2 pair. Any comments on how you play this.

I am too lazy to change names, so if you don't want you SN outted, don't out it and I won't mention it in this thread.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Hand From Impromptu 2+2 PLO8 last night

At a regular PLO/8 game, I would have played it the same way, and check-folded to the pot-sized bet when that bad turn card hit.

At the 2+2 game from last night, with LAGs Ardipithecus and kewlhead last to act, I would have tried to check-raise the flop and get a lot of chips in right there.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:38 PM

I am also not suggesting this was the only hand I played poorly (at least 3 others come to mind as worse plays), but this is the main hand I have trouble figuring the best play. I think my other mistakes were of the totally retarded variety in which I have no problem identifying the correct play, and knew well at the time that I was being bone headed and gambling it up a bit or steaming.

Still, I am not sure I can check fold the turn so easily given this action. The only hand that beats me for high is a set. Do I really fear a set from a flop call and a turn pot bet when I show weakness? I think check fold on the turn makes some sense, because I have lost a lot of my equity by having my low draw counterfitted, but with no straight or flush possible, my 2 pair is only possibly behind a set for high. I am very likely freerolling a solid low hand at best, but with 2 other people paying in are you really tossing this here? Maybe I am justifying, but this board doesn't seem like a nightmare for my top 2 pair. I think I should have bet out something like half the pot on the turn and been prepared to fold to any action.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 PM

I think I dropped about 3 buy-in's at our table, so maybe I shouldn't talk. I'm willing to consider that check-folding the turn is handing over too much fold equity to the LAGs. If you're going to bet, though, I think it needs to be for the size of the pot. You want non-nut lows to fold. Unless someone has an unlikely 34xx, a pot-sized bet is going to look pretty scary to them and will be tough to call.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:35 PM

Did anyone ever figure out who the fk Armourofpeen is?

I'd chk-r the flop. When AAA reraises (presumably, although since Armour never spoke up on the flop in this case, tough to say), I'd shove. But w/ LAGs to act behind and a strong 2-way hand, I believe chk-r is the way to go.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone ever figure out who the fk Armourofpeen is?

I'd chk-r the flop. When AAA reraises (presumably, although since Armour never spoke up on the flop in this case, tough to say), I'd shove. But w/ LAGs to act behind and a strong 2-way hand, I believe chk-r is the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know who Armourofpeen is (not a very regular poster), but I will not out him in this thread since I already said I wouldn't do any outing. I also think a chk-r on the flop is a good option, but I opted to bet out since you had checked behind on several flops. In retrospect, the result probably comes out the same if I do that, but then I don't feel like a total douche getting my money in drawing nearly dead.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:15 PM

I know Peen is a regular at the low buy-in tables at Party. Dunno if he/she's a 2+2'er.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:03 PM

I'd fold the turn here. It's unlikely two players are in there with 34, just because 34 is a rare combination to play. It's likely one of the two players has a high hand. Moreover, playing a set passively on the flop w/ two low cards out is a reasonable play.

You could have check-raised the flop, but leading out isn't bad, either. If you successfully check-raise the flop and get called, you're just on the border of being pot-committed and still might have a tricky turn decision. If you lead out, get raised, and then reraise, all your money will be in the middle, which is desirable on this flop.