Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Micro High: Fold on 4th?

No clear reads on villain, sorry no hand convertor, I play on The Gaming Club and their HH is not as friendly as Party Poker =/

7 Stud High Fixed Limit $0.50/$1.00

(X X) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] folded

(X X) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] folded

Hero: (J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] raised

(X X) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

(X X) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Posted bring in.

(X X) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] folded

(X X) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] folded

(X X) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] called, called.

4th:

Hero: (J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain: (X X) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets, Villain Raises, Hero re-raises, Villain calls.

5th:

Hero (J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain (X X) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets, Hero?
Old 10-22-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Micro High: Fold on 4th?

Why the three-bet on fourth? Did you think he was raising with a pair smaller than Jacks? With a draw? Perhaps you thought he'd fold?

Fifth is a tough spot. If the other guy is at all sensible, I think you have to fold, but the pot is big enough that you can't feel good about it.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:13 PM

He probably read villain for one pair 3straight and wanted to put more pressure on himor maybe villain was buy a freecard on 4th with a straight draw and is now betting 4straight + pair? Or maybe had two pair and now hit a boat?
Old 10-22-2005, 02:14 PM

on 4th I thought villain was trying to get cute with a 3-flush. I've seen many players at this limit get all excited when they see 3-flush to start with, put him on 3-flush and went ahead with a re-raise.

I feel the only thing that beats me here is AA64, KK64, QQ64, in which case villain SHOULD have raised on 3rd with that range of hands. so I felt comfortable with the hand. The lead on 5th made me weary
Old 10-22-2005, 02:15 PM

i would love to know why you reraised on fourth street. i cant imagine he is making this play with a hand worse than jacks. honestly i think you should have flat called fourth and fold fifth. he cant have a draw here so he is either nuts or you are way behind.

Pat
Old 10-22-2005, 03:17 PM

as it turned out I made the worst possible play and got married to what looked like an overpair.

villain started with (6-4)6, caught 2 pair on 4th. The raise on 4th should have forced me to fold though, as others have stated, why would villain play anything below jacks at this point? i have no idea, why pay to find out? i went into call down mode and did not improve. newbie mistake, and I learned the hard way.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:13 PM

OK, I haven't played this game and you have, but in my experience, when someone gets "cute" with a three-flush, they do it on third street, not when they've caught an off-suit Four on fourth. I think most people would raise coming in with pocket Queens through Aces, and people who don't won't raise on fourth, either. Perhaps he's getting frisky with an open-ended straight draw, but with two Eights gone, I tend to discount that. I'll admit that I've seen the results now, but when I first read this, I thought the other guy most likely had two pair on fourth in which case

1) You're behind and

2) He ain't folding

so the raise on fourth street was probably not your best move.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:02 AM

aye, you live you learn. this is my first week of playing 7stud and am trying to plug the leaks so i do not become a loosey goosey bingo player.

next skill to work on....RELEASE WHEN YOU ARE BEAT! hehe it should have been clear to me in retrospect. i am still up a bit of cash after playing this week, so the "free" lessons have been well worth it. i will continue to post here and thanks for your input everyone. when you see my name, try not to laugh! =P
Old 10-23-2005, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think most people would raise coming in with pocket Queens through Aces, and people who don't won't raise on fourth, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record - although this is true at 5/10 or higher, it’s not necessarily true at lower limits. At 2/4, I’ve found that a raise in this spot means a slow played big buried pair (or better) more often than not.
I guess it’s just that they habitually limp with big pairs, but once they find themselves heads-up on 4th they think “what the hell, might as well raise”. This can be very confusing, needless to say…

To the OP, I don’t like the 3-bet on 4th either, and agree with the others that 5th street should be a fold.