Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Situation I\'m unsure of TD 2-7.

Good .5/1$ game, hero, two tight players and three fish.

Fold, hero open-raises with 2378K. fold to button who 3 bets it, folded to hero.

In an hour of play you have noticed button has ONLY 3-bet with 1 card draws. He appears to be learning with DN's system for the most part (doesnt draw rough, opens 2 card and 1 card draws fold most everything else) but he only gets aggressive with 1 card draws.

Do you ditch the 8 here in an attempt at not ending up with a rougher hand, or just try and outrun him? What's the plan?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Situation I\'m unsure of TD 2-7.

With this read (I've seen players like this, too) I would tend to break an 87 draw but keep an 86 or 85, unless Villian is a tricky player who might 3-bet and keep a 9 if he gets it HU.

With the 87 it is far too easy to be outplayed on the 3rd round. Breaking gives you the option to fold unimproved or make a call (or bet) that is much more likely to be correct. You are trading a 20% decrease in your probability of making an 8 for about 20% chance of making a 7.

On the other hand, getting free cards on the second and third rounds when you have a worse draw has some value, too.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:22 PM

With this read, I normally drop the 8 on the opening round. I have no idea if that's actually the optimal decision. It certainly makes decisions on the later rounds a lot easier.

If you keep the 8, you're either calling a three bet or capping. I hate doing either one in this spot. Calling a three bet and drawing one screams "I have a bad one card draw". Capping is too expensive to consider in this spot.

Tangentally, I'd be interested in hearing arguments that involve calling a three bet in this spot as part of a mixed strategy. I'm curious if anyone does that with much success.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:35 PM

OOP I ditch the 8
Old 10-17-2005, 01:07 AM

Default RE MIX.

Sounds good, thanks guys.

A twist, what if player is:

A.) Tight aggressive and will do this to iso with any good 2 card draw and obviously 1 card draws.

B.) Loose aggressive, will do this with any remotely playable 2 card draw with a deuce, and smooth to rough 1 card draws.

OOP, kick the 8 or no?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: RE MIX.

A. I still want to toss the 8

B. I think it is close between tossing the 8 and re-raising(take control!) and drawing one.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Re: RE MIX.

A.) Probably call and throw the 8 (really depends on how he plays after the draw)
B.) Probably cap it and keep the 8
Old 10-17-2005, 11:40 AM

What a boring thread, everyone (including me) tosses the 8 with your read. Now if only villain were a more laggy, we could really go to town on whether to keep the 8 OOP or not.