Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Lucid Dreaming

[ QUOTE ]
Become 'aware' in your dreams is a direct reflection of how 'aware' you are in your 'waking' life.

To answer your question - yes, many times. Everyone has, but not everyone 'remembers'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says the first part? And aware of what? I see no reason to assume that having more lucid dreams means your more aware of anything in waking life. Perhaps I'm missing your reference or your meaning. Given that I can program myself to have lucid dreams, doesn't it seem unlikely that lucid dreams mean I'm more aware in waking life? All that shows to me is that if I chose to have more lucid dreams that I could.

For the second part, how could you possibly know that someone has ever had a lucid dream if they, themself, have not reported it. Even if it's exceedingly common, there are the freakish exceptions like the Israeli soldier that didn't dream or have REM sleep (as reported in the mid-80s Guiness Book of World Records). You don't have to have REM sleep to live, btw, but without deep sleep you get extremely groggy and rats will die without being allowed deep sleep in something like 28 days (whereas with no sleep they die in like 14 days). Yes, human experimentalists are obviously cruel.

Your statements sound absolutist along the lines of saying people that have exploding head syndrome have all been electrocuted at some point.
BTW, exploding head syndrome is an actual medical condition, a variant of normal, in which people experience abrupt jolts that feel electric in quality and aurally (like a thunderclap) while drifting off to sleep that about 10 percent of the population experiences. It's not known to be related to any medical condition or other situation. It merely make it momentarily difficult to get to sleep.

I'd be curious about your sources. I'm not saying your wrong. But, I am saying I have a damn hard time believing you.

Can you tell me more?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
exploding head syndrome is an actual medical condition, a variant of normal, in which people experience abrupt jolts that feel electric in quality and aurally (like a thunderclap) while drifting off to sleep that about 10 percent of the population experiences. It's not known to be related to any medical condition or other situation. It merely make it momentarily difficult to get to sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]
I get this often. I'm almost asleep and then it feels like I get an electric shock and I am suddenly wide awake. I realize that I was basically about to fall asleep and lose consciousness, but then I'm jolted back into being awake. I never knew that it was a syndrome. So I can say that I have "exploding head syndrome"? Is that the real term for it?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:26 AM

It's for real. I get it too. I LOVE the name. I give the medical community mad props for making that the official name of a diagnosis.

Here's a link about it.

I guess other people were a little more disturbed about it than me. I always just went back to sleep so I didn't really sweat it. I asked a doctor about it one time which is how I found out what it is and what it was called.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a linkabout it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds very much like Sleep Paralysis and Associated Hypnagogic and Hypnopompic Experiences. There is currently a thread running in OOT about this stuff.