Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Aces against wtfsvi

True, although that is not what I was doing.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:45 AM

Yet it's very possible that it had that effect.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:01 AM

I had KK in this hand, and I think my preflop range for calling preflop at the moment was pretty much AA-QQ. Don't know if I'd push or call or fold with AK, probably fold.

I had been very aggressive and tricky, pulling all sorts of weird moves on Emil, so I was in passive mode. Not about to try to make him make laydowns. Therefore, the tight calling range preflop. If Emil was on to that, good third(/fourth/fifth or whatever. I don't feel like counting.)-level thinking by him and a hand very well played.

On the flop, I figured I'd let him push the turn himself since I, while I thought he was on a real hand, was not sure of it. That's also the reason for the turn check behind. I wanted to give him every oportunity to bluff off his stack if he didn't have anything. In retrospect, I think I should push the turn since the turn check behind followed by the river push shows more strength because of the above mentioned oportunity for him to bluff, and because I knew Emil was on to my delayed bluffing, but I hadn't shown down a delayed bluff yet. (So even though it was obvious what was going on from a previous hand, maybe he hadn't adjusted to me knowing that he knew. He probably had though.)
Old 10-10-2005, 10:28 AM

What do you do with KK if he makes it 80 preflop?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:21 AM

I'm flat calling and not getting away on a rag flop. Not doing anything different from now I think.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:33 AM

I agree. Which is why that's the play from his end for sure. Postflop plays itself.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:30 PM

Well. A pot sized raise is to $68, right? And he raised to $65. I don't really think we can fault him for making a pot sized raise. I don't know if $80 would be better, but $65 is not bad.

I think he played the hand very well. But it's really tough to give advice on hands between two players that adapt to each others current play in a forum like this. These situations are where the game and discussion gets interesting though.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:20 AM

I always raise/re-raise more than pot sized out of the blinds. There is nothing magical about pot-sized. And when you look at stack sizes (which you should do when re-raising) 80 seems to make more sense than 70 here, IMO. Obviously not a huge deal. But you are going to feel more comfortable knowing that you can't make a mistake postflop. 70 is just a LITTLE bit borderline for that. Which gives the nagging feeling of 'maybe I should fold' which is just a lot worse mindset than being committed preflop. Let others know where you're at. It will also help you steal if you re-raise big in general.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:56 PM

Like I said previously, I totally agree with TWP in this. It was a mistake, and also a mistake that I think a lot of people make. When someone reraises small out of the blinds against me, and I know he is on a tight range, I lick my lips. Often the players that raise too small are also the palyers that don't raise enough.