Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-26-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Tipping etiqutte, should I feel bad/cheap?

[ QUOTE ]
If it is not busy, this seems like a perfect situation in which to not leave a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-26-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Leave a TINY Tip

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
Instead of getting mad and irritated, walk up from the table, go to the kitchen and ask the cook if he will take your order for food (this will make you then center of attention, be VERY NICE about it, have a good FAKE friendly face). 95% of the time the manager will come to you to solve your waitress problem. A secondary benefit is your waitress will be deeply embarassed and so you send a powerful message to her without having to be a prick. If you are on a first date, this is a bit trickier because your date may get embarrassed. If it is me, I'd still do it.

Awful, awful advice. This would definitely constitute 'being a prick' and I'd wager you've gotten more than your fair share of loogie burgers as a result. The cook doesn't want to talk to you and he knows you're full of it with your big fake smile. People like you always get the worst possible service because everyone can tell you're going to leave a pitiful tip for whatever reason you feel like anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really true. As a cook, we love it when the waitstaff screws up and drama happens. A customer coming back into the kitchen would be priceless. Sure, we'd pretend to be pissed off and rant about how Mandy shouldn't be allowed to wait tables, but we would absolutely love it and we'd be telling the story for weeks. As for loogie burgers, I've worked in this industry for 4 years and have yet to have seen one made. A friend of mine admitted to making one once, but then said she'd felt horrible after and never did it again. The stories I hear come more from waitstaff about other waitstaff contaminating the food. Cooks are surprisingly prideful of their product.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I won't tip here. If I'm feeling extra upset I might even flag down a manager and explain why.

[/ QUOTE ]

seems awfully nitty
Old 09-26-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it's possible that they think they're protesting against the restaurant if they don't tip very well, but really, they're just protesting against my bank account. Bastards. </rant>

[/ QUOTE ]

They are protesting against the restaurant. If the kitchen crew can't keep up, the bad tippers are encouraging you to work someplace else. Sure, there's already a lot of turnover among servers, but it's still a hassle for the owners and managers. Hiring people, dealing with new hires that don't know the join well, paperwork, and unfilled shifts all cause management grief.

By continuing to work at a restaurant where the line cooks can't do their job well, you are sanctioning their bad performance. You are complicit in their evil acts. You are giving it your OK by staying there. It doesn't really matter if you say "I'm doing this under protest" cuz you're still doing it, so what does management care?
Old 09-26-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Leave a TINY Tip

This isn't really true. As a cook, we love it when the waitstaff screws up and drama happens. A customer coming back into the kitchen would be priceless. Sure, we'd pretend to be pissed off and rant about how Mandy shouldn't be allowed to wait tables, but we would absolutely love it and we'd be telling the story for weeks. As for loogie burgers, I've worked in this industry for 4 years and have yet to have seen one made. A friend of mine admitted to making one once, but then said she'd felt horrible after and never did it again. The stories I hear come more from waitstaff about other waitstaff contaminating the food. Cooks are surprisingly prideful of their product.
LOL..........Of course your right.
nothumb was just expressing WISHFUL THINKING. I suppose he would derive pleasure from thinking people spit in my food.

As for having terrible service where I would actually get up and go into the employee area this would be a very rare occurence. Say once per 5 years. I rarely get service that bad so I rarely get to have the fun of embarassing a bad waitress. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]