Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 09:07 PM

Default PLO8 $25 hand

Lately I have been having trouble with some of these hands.

5 limpers to me and I raise on the button with AA55 ss with hearts. 3 others to the flop for a pot of 7.60. I started the hand with around 25 as did 2 others, the third villain had $9.

The flop comes Ac Jc 4s. It is checked to me.

What is your line here? Obviously I have the "best hand". But with two to a low out I am likely only going to get half the pot, and thats IF the flush doesn't hit. Do you wait for a safe card on the turn and jam? 1/3 to 1/2 pot bet? I opted for a full pot bet but don't liek how I played the hand.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:53 AM

Default Re: PLO8 $25 hand

[ QUOTE ]
I opted for a full pot bet but don't liek how I played the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just because the hand didn't end up the way you wanted (I assume). I'd pot it here. You may pick up the pot, and since you're in position, it'll likely check around to you if a scare card falls on the turn and you can take a free card off to try to fill up.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:05 AM

The pot bet makes sense because you have the current nuts with redraws, almost surely an equity edge in this situation.

If called, how would you play a high flush card or low non-flush card (I assume a low flush card = fold?)
Old 08-03-2005, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If called, how would you play a high flush card or low non-flush card (I assume a low flush card = fold?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do we assume that these possible turn cards will induce someone else to bet into the OP? Let's say that is the case first. Then for the high flush card case, I'll usually call to try to fill up, but will fold if that misses and get bet into again on river. For low non-flush, I'll call a less-than-pot bet but not be happy about it, because no way can I scoop; a pot-bet is much tougher decision, you should fold but maybe call for Shania's sake, or if there are enough callers. For low flush card, if bet into, fold.

Many times, though, it will check around to you since you've taken the lead preflop and flop. In that case, the decision is easy: check behind.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:11 AM

Jam, it is very unlike that you are not going to have enough PE here to want to bloat the pot. Also you don't want to check and let some PL25 donk catch his 36 low or his 8 high flush and take your pot.

Jam, then slowdown if a scare card comes it.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:06 PM

That is exactly what I did. EP player called my pot bet. Low club came out that also made a straight possible. It was checked to me and I checked behind hoping to fill up. The river brought a 4th low straight card and he bet pot into me so I folded
Old 08-03-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I have been having trouble with some of these hands.

5 limpers to me and I raise on the button with AA55 ss with hearts. 3 others to the flop for a pot of 7.60. I started the hand with around 25 as did 2 others, the third villain had $9.

The flop comes Ac Jc 4s. It is checked to me.

What is your line here? Obviously I have the "best hand". But with two to a low out I am likely only going to get half the pot, and thats IF the flush doesn't hit. Do you wait for a safe card on the turn and jam? 1/3 to 1/2 pot bet? I opted for a full pot bet but don't liek how I played the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously pot it, since your 55 breaks the low wheel draw quite well.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:51 PM

I had not thought of my 55 as blockers for some reason. The reason I thought it was best to underbet the pot is because I always thought it was standard to play something like KKJQ slow on a K25 board with two to a suit.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You obviously pot it, since your 55 breaks the low wheel draw quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was curious about this.. but you feel to still pot it regardless of both the low and flush draw.

Out of curiousity, if Hero had AA44 with the same flop-etc, what would you do?

Also, do you (or anyone else for that matter) agree with potting it in late position w/ AA55 with so many limpers? Aren't there just too many limpers (more likely at least one or both Aces in their hands) and should an Ace not flop, becomes questionable how to proceed (should he not flop a flush draw)...?