Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Weak ace in a multiway pot (6-max)

Hello, I have been lurking around here for a while already but haven't made any posts yet. The truth is I come up with lots of hands I'm not really sure what the right play is but I'm planning on posting these hands here in the future :-)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($3.50)
SB ($7.65)
BB ($15.70)
UTG ($4.55)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($14.70)</font>
<font color="#C00000">CO ($2.20)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.40) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $0.3</font>, SB calls $0.30, BB folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.30) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.8</font>, CO calls $0.80, SB folds.

River: ($2.90) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $2.90

My usual play is to bet the flop but this time I thought of trying something different. My thinking was that if I check-call the flop I might keep in some hands that I beat while I won't lose that much to a better ace, but I'm really not sure how well I accomplished any of these goals. I will post the results later.

EDIT: Villain had sit at the table just a while ago so I had no real reads. This far he had been stealing a few small pots and bet with marginal hands like a small pocket pair with two overcards on the flop.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Weak ace in a multiway pot (6-max)

I hate to contribute nothing to this thread, but i find it extremely difficult to comment on strategy in games with 10 cent BBs and lower.

anybody else get the urge to just type POOOOOOOOOOOSH when the stack sizes are $2?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:39 AM

if you're going to play it, raise it from that position.

open limping is for fish
Old 08-02-2005, 11:52 AM

Even if the game is so loose/passive I'm almost guaranteed to have a cheap flop? If limping is out of question would you rather fold or raise with A5s?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if the game is so loose/passive I'm almost guaranteed to have a cheap flop? If limping is out of question would you rather fold or raise with A5s?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the players...particularly those between me and the blinds. probably raise.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:08 PM

How about small pocketpairs? Is open-limping a bad idea with those too? I usually raise every hand I'm going to play but with suited aces and pairs down from 88 I'm usually limping.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about small pocketpairs? Is open-limping a bad idea with those too? I usually raise every hand I'm going to play but with suited aces and pairs down from 88 I'm usually limping.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't usually play short-handed, but in a full ring game, if i'm CO-1 i'm open-raising anything that i'm going to play. that includes pocket pairs. it's more about image and metagame, plsu being about to take down pots with just a little bit of aggression.