Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2003, 04:01 AM

Default Hold AA, and button Cap?

6 max 3/6 game at UB

In BB with AA, everyone folds to button who raises, I 3-bet, and button Cap.

Flop:JQKrainbow

Now how would you play this hand till the river?

*Button is the type of player who 3-bets usually with quality cards.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Hold AA, and button Cap?

If he will only raise and cap with quality cards the only hands that I can imagine you are beating are TT and possible 99. There is also a remote chance of splitting with the other AA.

Looks like there is a very good chance you are behind but I would want to see where I stand so I would probably bet the flop then call the raise and check-fold the turn when he bet.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:51 AM

I'd bet out to see where you are at. If raised, check call down, unless you improve to broadway. He could have AK (do you think he'd cap it with slick?), or you're dead and he has KK, QQ, JJ.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:05 AM

These 6 handed games at UB are usually very agressive preflop and post flop. I see people cap preflop with AK in this position all the time. Although,obviously he could have KK QQ and JJ in this position. I agree with Larry Joe, bet out on the flop, call a raise, and go into check-call mode unless you hit your broadway without the board pairing. From my past experience @ the UB 6 handed tables I wouldnt be suprised if the guy made this play with 10 10 or 99. Even if you dont win I would probably have to see what the guy thought was cappable for future reference.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:13 AM

I would probably bet the flop then call the raise and check-fold the turn when he bet.

Why are you folding what you thnk is a 6-out hand in a 7+ big bet pot?
Old 06-12-2003, 11:04 AM

Check-call

Check-call.

Check-call.

If I catch an Ace or Ten somewhere along the way I'll make a move.

In a 6-handed game there's too good of a chance that your hand is best to fold at any point. Betting out is pointless, because your opponent will bet for you when checked to, and he will always raise when you bet (even when he is behind with something like AK). So betting gives you absolutely no information. All it does is cost you a half-bet more when you are behind to a set and also when you are ahead of a hand like TT/99/AK, because your opponent will probably check behind on the river (whereas if you just check-call the whole way he may take one more stab at it on the river).

-- Homer
Old 06-12-2003, 01:39 PM

I agree Homer,

I think betting out gives you no information at all. most players who 4 bet preflop will raise your flop bet with any reasonable holding here.

The only way to gain information would be to check-raise, and the cost of doing that is too high versus the potential downside of being way behind and getting 3-bet.

-Scott
Old 06-12-2003, 05:10 PM

hi artist
you have 6 outs; check-call to the river, and unless you improve, check-fold on the river. if the board pairs along the way, check-fold; the 6 outs keep you in this thing, unless you think he has AA. if you think he has AA, you've then got to believe that he has AA with position. as you fold your 6 out, remember how very important position is.

you played the pre-flop great, but this is a devestating flop. it happens rarely thankfully, and there is nothing that you can do. by the way, if you held JJ here, and were caught between a couple of raisers going at it, you would have to fold even though your hand can improve.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:20 AM

Default I used Homer suggested Strategy

Ya I used Homer suggested strategy and check and call. Turn out he had AQs, and he check on the turn and river. I hate checking and calling and was just checking if there was a better way to play this. Thank you guys.

Old 06-14-2003, 06:03 PM

Default Re: I used Homer suggested Strategy

"Ya I used Homer suggested strategy and check and call. Turn out he had AQs, and he check on the turn and river."

--When he checks behind on the turn, you need to bet the river. Your initial plan is meaningless once you gain that kind of info on the pricy streets.