Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Line check please.

your slowplay is good here. Since it is a buttom raise, he is most likely drawing dead or at least slim. You have a good chance to get him to bet the turn with little chance.

I would raise at least a little more than the min, but that's my preference.

Nice hand.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:00 PM

TT or 22 takes a big swing ATF looking for an ace and connects. I like the way villain played it if he has these hands.

A2,A7 villain has to be concerned about counterfeiting, and has to bet the turn. If villain has these hands then I think he is guilty of not excercising some pot control starting with the flop bet.

AceTen I think villain overbet the flop.

If villain has anything else, I don't care for the way he played it.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Results

Anyway, villian shows 77 and i lose the pot.

But, here is my major question.

Instead of check/calling on the flop, should i be check/raising?

The thing is, by check/calling there is no draw for me to represent, so the other guy should probably think that I'm slowplaying something.

The other thing is, if i check/call, and he has a weak hand, like 77 or a bluff, he will shut down on the turn and river, so check raising and making him fold really makes no difference in my profit, it just gives me an oppurtunity to lose the pot.

Finally, if he has Ax he will probably call my check raise and I will extract as much money as I would with check/calling.

Thoughts?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT or 22 takes a big swing ATF looking for an ace and connects. I like the way villain played it if he has these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

But do you like the way he played it if he swings and misses?

I definitely see the argument here, but with the read that our hero has, I don't see the villian getting this clever with a set on the flop.

Brad
Old 06-29-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, playing tens like that is bad unless you absolutely know that your opposition will pay you off. By the sound of the villian, I don't think he's that bright.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will play a set like this if I've been betting at a lot of flops. It looks suspicious to check a pot when you've been making a lot of continuation bets. So, I fire and hope I get played back at. If my opponent folds...so be it.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Results

I think you were fine. He may have had a big A and continued paying you off. Which is more likely than him hitting a set. And with what he did have even if he misses his set on the turn he may fire another barrel.
If you checkraise the hand is over on the flop. Let him try to give you more money when you are ahead. You have top two heads up against a raiser. Don't secondguess this IMO. He hit his 2 outer. You just didn't hit your 4 out redraw. This is just a bad beat, not bad playing.
A completely different situation where you see this same thinking: It's like the person who gets all-in PF with KK vs. A7. River A. Of course the 1st thing through their mind is they should of stop-n-goed and he would of never called the flop bet. While they're often correct that the person would not have called I think that they're still correct to get all-in there PF. It was still the right play.

I'm rambling...
Old 06-29-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, villian shows 77 and i lose the pot.

But, here is my major question.

Instead of check/calling on the flop, should i be check/raising?

The thing is, by check/calling there is no draw for me to represent, so the other guy should probably think that I'm slowplaying something.

The other thing is, if i check/call, and he has a weak hand, like 77 or a bluff, he will shut down on the turn and river, so check raising and making him fold really makes no difference in my profit, it just gives me an oppurtunity to lose the pot.

Finally, if he has Ax he will probably call my check raise and I will extract as much money as I would with check/calling.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough beat, but I still think you played the hand about perfectly.

We read correctly that he was on a steal PF. You have two pair, so even if he's semibluffing with one pair (the two or ten in this case) his outs are all but forfeited. So a call in this situation is fine. He probably calls a minraise with this semibluff.

If he does have a underpocketpair, he has two outs against you. I'd think most players fold to a flop raise here, but I'm not sure about this villian. Either way, you are way ahead of him here. Villian having an underpair, however, means that you won't extract much more from him unless he is super-agressive. So here you have to weigh whether a smooth-call will induce a repop or not. If not, then I raise on the flop here and be done with the hand.

If he has an ace, he pays you off. He's already shown that right? So smooth calling here is perfect if he has an ace.

So evaluating the different holdings, I think the smoothcall is your best option. He either:

1) Has a worse two pair and will pay you off at a latter time. He has 2 outs to beat you.
2) Is semibluffing with one pair, and will pay you off if he hits a forfeited out, or might repop if you smooth call. He has 0-2 outs to beat you.
3) Has an underpair, possibly repoping on the turn, possible not giving you any more, and possibly folding to a flop reraise. Could do a lot of different things with an underpocketpair.
4) Could have absolutely nothing and fold to a flop reraise or a turn bet.

With all options considered here, I think smooth calling on the most profitable decision here.

Brad