Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-29-2003, 04:10 PM

Default Ad4d in a LP

6-12

A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] one off of the button.

4 callers to me, I call, (anyone raise??) button calls, sb completes, bb checks. 8 players..........

flop

k [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

checked to the LA player next to me and he bets, I call, 3 more callers to the turn.

Turn

9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

checked to LA on my right he bets, I call, 1 other caller

River

7 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

checked to me I bet two callers, I win. LA player shows down K6c

There are a couple of things about this hand that I wonder about. How many people raise preflop and why? How many people will take one off when they have a nut flush draw and a rainbow board hits with one of your suits?
Old 05-29-2003, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Ad4d in a LP

Ugh. You got lucky. I would probably have called, with that many players in (are you sure the Button isn't going to raise?), but I wouldn't raise. On the flop, you are bet into, have nothing but a runner-runner draw and ONE overcard, no kicker. 5-1 isn't enough pot-odds to get there. About the only time I am going to take one off here is if I have a good read on the player and know he's playing top pair or bluffing at it. Take the pot and smile....
Old 05-29-2003, 04:29 PM

Clear flop fold
Old 05-29-2003, 04:30 PM

"How many people raise preflop and why?"
--I'll raise Axs after a bundle of limpers if there's a good chance I can buy the button and get a free look at the turn, or if people have been giving my preflop raises entirely too much respect postflop. All told, it's something I'd do about 10% of the time. In this particular situation, with a LA to my immediate right, I'd limp.

"How many people will take one off when they have a nut flush draw and a rainbow board hits with one of your suits?"
--If the table is passive enough to almost guarantee some callers and no CR, I'd probably chase here.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:57 PM

I usually want to have something more on the flop, like the 4 pairing, before I call the flop bet.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:02 PM

I would have folded the flop. I am I giving up too much by doing this? I am basically drawing to runner runner diamonds here. The ace, even if it hits, will likely be no good with such a crappy kicker.

When I fold hands like this and the flush does eventually come, I tell myself that I might have won that hand, but I will lose a lot if I chase like that every time in the long run.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:12 PM

"I would have folded the flop. I am I giving up too much by doing this?"
--Not at all. Chasing here is basically incorrect, but some of us do it anyway. Kinda the same excuse I give when anyone asks why I smoke.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:33 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

sometimes ill raise this preflop. why? so if i hit my hand i can drag a big one. it can also buy you a free ride to the turn and help you define a players hand that may bet into you on the flop. though in some games opponents play too far anyways but it still does have some value. just not as much.

flop....you missed. im folding maybe, maybe if your call was close to closing the action i could see it, but what if someone raised behind you? are you now going to call another bet? 2 cards in the zone could be a raise behind. even for passive players...

b
Old 05-30-2003, 12:07 AM

I never make these sorts of preflop raises. Never.

Just an fyi.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 04:27 AM

I don't raise preflop, and I fold on the flop.