Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 03-28-2005, 04:25 AM

Default folding winning hand is way more frustrating than a bad beat

this seems like an obvious fold here. you have an early player raising preflop, raising on the flop and betting the turn. you also have a middle player cold calling 2 bets preflop and cold calling 2 bets on the flop with no possible draws. maybe i played it too tight. thoughts?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero folds.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:29 AM

Default Re: folding winning hand is way more frustrating than a bad beat

If you are going to call with this hand preflop, you can't do so with the intention of folding when you hit a perfect flop. The problem with betting the flop is that he will raise with all types of hands and really don't know where you stand (not that this is a bad thing but his flop raise doesn't give you much information if that is what you are trying to get). Had you check/raised the flop (and gotten 3-bet) then you can make a much more reliable laydown here but I think you have to call this one down given that he will raise the flop with hands like AQ or JJ or whatever.

Brad
Old 03-28-2005, 04:37 AM

after the hand, i thought i should have check-raised the flop. so i agree with that point. however, the way the hand played out, it wasn't his raise on the flop that convinced me i was beat. it was his bet on the turn into the player that cold called 2 bets on the flop with no possible draws. having said that, i agree i made a mistake on the flop. but once that mistake was made, calling down against 2 opponents still doesn't seem right.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:42 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

To call this preflop you have to be sure the UTG is raising light. You are on the bottom end of a solid players sprectrum of hands he'd raise preflop with in that spot. If he was in a later position, then calling this becomes better. Unless he's one of the tighties raise-wise where he tends to raise the same type of hands, (tight) regardless of position.

I think you can call the flop, then check fold the turn if you miss. To go further, you have to know the player is capable of playing this way with a much lesser hand than you have. Which isn't likely in most cases.

The MP likely doesn't have a K nor an 8. God knows what he has. He isn't high priority at the moment.

b
Old 03-28-2005, 04:45 AM

Calling down against two opponents is actually better for you if you think you might be beat. I think that worrying about the coldcaller is silly after the turn goes check-bet-CALL. If he did have some kind of a hand, he would have raised the turn with it. So once the coldcaller just calls the turn all you need to worry about the PFR. Since you got some dude calling all the way who is drawing thin against you, it makes more sense calling down against 2 players then just one. The flop coldcaller is effectively subsidizing your call down so you need to show down the winning hand less often to make it profitable. It gets much trickier if the coldcaller has a lot of outs against you, but in this case he probably has 3 outs or less so we don't really need to make him pay to draw against us.

Brad
Old 03-28-2005, 05:04 AM

i probably didn't explain my thinking very well. i'm not trying to argue as i agree that i played this hand poorly. i wasn't worried about the mp because as you pointed out, he would have raised the turn with a big hand. what did worry me was the fact that the pfr didn't seem to care that i bet into him and he also didn't seem to care that the mp had called 2 bets cold on the flop. so i naturally put the pfr on aa, kk, or ak.