Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-07-2004, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Does anyone else fold QJo preflop in this position?

[ QUOTE ]
spider,

You were raising this river even if it were a blank, right?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i added that comment after i posted it and realized the raise and river Q may be misinterpretted.

i intended to raise a non-A/K river pretty much since it would be less likely i'll get called by a worse hand.

yeah, this opponent was going to bet the river a fair amount and call a raise out of curiosity. he may have found a fold on the turn since its further from showdown.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:36 PM

Okay I see now. I should probably do that too.

Do you raise with QJs from EP and MP if you're first in or do you call in EP and raise from MP?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:38 PM

I've yet to face an opponent who will bet on all 3 streets then fold to a raise... then again, I'm still at 0.5/1 on Party, and the highest I've played is 1/2 Ladbrokes 6-max. The way I see it, if he's on a bluff, he will check the river and fold to your bet. You gain the same amount by raising him on the turn, and in the event he's holding a K or A, get him to fold there. Why give him a chance to draw to his 3-outer when you can make the same by raising the turn?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:39 PM

Yeah quite possibly. The call/call/raise line works so well though. Everytime I have used it, I have gotten paid off. The keys are: the pot must be small and there must be doubt that you actually have the best hand. In this case a turn raise is okay because the Hero almost surely has the best hand.

Shill
Old 12-07-2004, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've yet to face an opponent who will bet on all 3 streets then fold to a raise... then again, I'm still at 0.5/1 on Party, and the highest I've played is 1/2 Ladbrokes 6-max. The way I see it, if he's on a bluff, he will check the river and fold to your bet. You gain the same amount by raising him on the turn, and in the event he's holding a K or A, get him to fold there. Why give him a chance to draw to his 3-outer when you can make the same by raising the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
You will soon come up against opponents who play their 55 hand exactly the same as this guy, but when you raise the turn, they'll fold. And that sucks, because you miss a bet.

Those same guys who will fold your turn raise will still bet the river, because you've got to have AK, right? Then when you raise the river, they've got to know what you played this way.

It's an odd phenomenon, but you'll see it more and more.

Ni han, spider.

Rob