Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2004, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Ok, here\'s a 5-10 NL hand.

You need to have a read on the opponent here.

If he's a solid opponent, he has more than just a draw here; he's already got a set, two pair, or is on some straight and flush combo. In that case, the blocking bet is best, I think. Bet $120-$150.

If you think you can blast opponent off a medium hand, then you can fire for $200.

If opponent is really weak/passive, then check, and he's unlikely to bet more than the blocking bet you would've fired. However, you are not going to win without showing down a hand if you check the turn here.

I think check/raising the flop would have been superior, since that might push opponent off a weak hand and would have allowed you to push the flop if reraised, thus solving your position problems.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
headup you might have wanted to check raise on the flop. and see fourth if he doesnt bet. you are the favorite against most hands he might have yet want to keep the pot fairly small if you dont hit and can win a double up if you hit as there are alot of cards that can make him something if you hit. this is a differnt scenario because of the straight cards out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray Zee, what do you mean by "this is a different scenario because of the straight cards out there"?

Also, regarding the check/raise play. I posted a similar hand a while ago and I remember I was berated very badly for check/raising the flop. I'm pretty sure everyone said I could check/call or maybe checkraise but if I check/raised it would have to be all in, is that what you're saying, check/raise all in?
Old 10-12-2004, 05:13 PM

a c/r push on the flop would be a substantial overbet. if he bets $100 into the $120 pot, a pot-sized c/r would be to make it 420 (hehehehe); hero would be making it 950. i know i never play a made hand that way (maybe i should) so i'd be worried it'd be transparent.

one nice thing about leading out is that if he raises you can get all-in in a more natural way and still be betting enough to put him to a decision.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:32 PM

hi Ray, yeah I'm not too sure either about what you mean here...perhaps you can clarify a couple things.....

[ QUOTE ]
headup you might have wanted to check raise on the flop. and see fourth if he doesnt bet. you are the favorite against most hands he might have

[/ QUOTE ]
out of position, I agree with checking the flop as a possible line.....but checkraising?....stacks are too deep to push and, what if villain calls a regular sized checkraise and no spade falls on the turn? - now hero has to act first on the turn with only one card to come....everybody seems to think two overs and the nut flush draw is a "big" hand, but on this board I don't know that it is.....any hand that is going to give action (pair + straight draw, two-pair, set, made straight) is a favorite or at worst even money over hero's hand.....

[ QUOTE ]
yet want to keep the pot fairly small if you dont hit and can win a double up if you hit as there are alot of cards that can make him something if you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand what you are saying here....you're saying hero should keep the pot small, but then that there are cards that help hero and villain both so that hero would double up?....

[ QUOTE ]
this is a differnt scenario because of the straight cards out there. so if he forces a big pot play it for all you got. and if he doesnt trap him.

[/ QUOTE ]
doesn't this contradict the last statement?....again, my thinking is that any hand that really wants to play a big pot with hero has hero in bad shape AND out of position (and because the money is not extremely shallow, hero won't know until it's too late)....
Old 10-13-2004, 03:51 AM

if you c-r the flop and he reraises, why would you want to get all your money in there? he's not going to fold and you're not a favorite.