Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 04:03 AM

Default This final table commentary with Greenstein and Raymer..

Does it seem to anyone else as though greenstein is somewhat cocky in some of the stuff he's saying. He was asked about his strategy in tournaments and ofcourse goes on talking about how he's playing to win just so he can get interviewed and talk about his charities since he's not playing for the money anyway. Well thanks, we already know that, u've said it plenty of times. Actually I am enjoying the commentary but the part that annoyed me was how he sounded like he was talking "down" to raymer. They were discussing accumulating chips based on how tight the other players are playing to make the final table and barry semed as though he didnt understand the point greg was making. Greg was not disagreeing with what barry was saying but barry kept sounded as though he was trying to make a point to prove greg wrong. "Well greg how much experience to you have short handed in big tournaments?" Greg: "Not much". When all greg was trying to do was say that with the two tables joined the players felt better about folding because he felt this made the other players theink they were all losing collectively.

I dunno, I have no problem with barry but this was the vibe I got from that little part of the commentary where it semed as though barry was somewhat "arguing" or trying to prove a point but really greg was not disagreing at all. Greg even said "I would never disagree with that barry but what im saying is..." And barry keeps cutting him off...
Old 09-19-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: This final table commentary with Greenstein and Raymer..

yes, saying that the big cash game players would have double digit bracelets. give me a break.

and raymer talking about a good player winning 3 out of 10 SNGs is absurd. If any good player could do that, they would never leave the house.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:25 AM

Wow.. greg raymer went on to talk about how he will show a big hand when raising in position so that this leaves it fresh in the players minds next time that he had a big hand. Greenstein immediately cuts him off and says "yeah in tournaments against amateurs, in the big games thats not going to work". :/
Old 09-19-2005, 05:00 AM

whats your point? Its not going to work against experienced players, it is going to work against inexperienced
Old 09-19-2005, 05:17 AM

The point is just that barry is coming off as though he's trying to make sure everyone listening in knows he's the better player, while Raymer is very humble.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The point is just that barry is coming off as though he's trying to make sure everyone listening in knows he's the better player, while Raymer is very humble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a news flash. Barry Greenstein thinks he's the best player in the world. Barry Greenstein is arrogant.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's f[/i]ucking great. Just not as much as he seems to.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:33 AM

i, personally, don't have a problem with Barry being arrogant [i didn't listen to the final table commentary so don't know if he was or not], it's no different from the arrogance that players like David Sklansky and Daniel Negreanu display at times. they are all world-class players who have won at every level they've played. frankly, i have more of a problem with players who have alot farther to go in their experience and play who display alot more arrogance than what you all seem to feel Barry exhibited.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i, personally, don't have a problem with Barry being arrogant [i didn't listen to the final table commentary so don't know if he was or not], it's no different from the arrogance that players like David Sklansky and Daniel Negreanu display at times. they are all world-class players who have won at every level they've played. frankly, i have more of a problem with players who have alot farther to go in their experience and play who display alot more arrogance than what you all seem to feel Barry exhibited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ego is a big part of poker - to the point where humble players like Greg are generally applauded just for not being entirely full of themselves.

The issue was that Greg is a great tournament player, and Barry was on a crusade to remind people that he rocks the Big Game daily. As was said, Barry would say things like "That won't work in the big games" either to make Raymer look inferior to him or to make himself look superior to everyone. Yeah, OK Barry, now let's talk about the tournament that you're supposed to be discussing.

I was getting frustrated just listening, I'm not sure how Raymer handled it so well. If I were him I would've opened everything I said with "As a World Series Main Event champion..."
Old 09-19-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Well greg how much experience to you have short handed in big tournaments?" Greg: "Not much".

[/ QUOTE ]

Raymer: "Well Barry, how many WSOP Main Events have you won?"
Old 09-19-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Well greg how much experience to you have short handed in big tournaments?" Greg: "Not much".

[/ QUOTE ]

Raymer: "Well Barry, how many WSOP Main Events have you won?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Raymer and Barry but I don't think I would go there.

Barry: I haven't won the WSOP ME, but that is 1 big tournament you have gotten headsup in. I have 8 Major Tournament wins and 5 2nd place finishes so that looks to be about 13 to 1 in my favor.

RZ