Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: my least favorite situation in poker...400NL

Everyone says bet more on the flop, I agree somewhat, it is a weakish bet, but...I think villian is likely to have a-q or aj-10 suited. This is a standard play from a lot of online players, they will mini-raise on the flop to find out where they are at. So because Hero led weak at the flop it looked like a continuation bet, so it lead Villian to believe he was weak. Which let villian take control of the hand with a weaker hand than Hero, which is great. If he bets pot on the flop and Villian just calls, then comes the 3 on the turn, and Hero bets strong again, you would get him to lay down his weaker hand. No way Villian has 9s full here, who would bet so much with an almost unbeatable hand? Ace 9 is very rare considering how tight he is. I like a weakish lead on the flop..when he raises, just call...and then check raise that scared turn bet all in, because by then, he is committed.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:04 AM

I am not ready to classify an opponent as a rock after 50 hands. Saying that AQ/AJ will not play like that is just incorrect, people love those hands.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:45 AM

I udnerstand your fear, but when that 3 pairs, I feel like I just hit the jackpot and checkraise his ass allin. If hes got quads, well then hes got big ones for potting it. But i think you see AQ AJ enough here.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 PM

i dont agree with raising this hand utg+1 in the first place, anyone else agree?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 PM

Default dont fear the free card.

i actually check raise here alot in a deep stack game. when you check, although it looks fishy, the fact that there are 2 spades on board makes your thinking oppnents reason you really did miss and your unthinking opponents, well theyll do what they were gonna do anyway. generally, this means players are gonna bet all there made hands and draws right back into you and check behind when they really did miss everything. now you can checkraise. and players really have to put a set of aces high on your range of hands. you will fold out 2-pair alot here. you can robo muck to any re-raise and callers are generally drawing to beat a set.

if it gets checked behind. go for the cr again on the turn, your bet out will get raised light too often.

not fearing the free card is one of the huge things a winning player has to learn in big bet. bobby hoff is a master at this and is very hard to put on a hand because of it.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:07 PM

The least volatile line you can take here OOP is to bet 50 on the flop and then again on the turn if he raises you. If he raises your flop bet to 100, bet 100 on hte turn and fold to a raise would likely be the best line to take. Not many players would raise your bet there with one pair and it saves you a river bet if you just check/called the turn and now had to call a river bet.

This stop and go should signify real strength, defines your hand clearly, and you may even get a river check from A9 after doing so, not likely but possible.

If the 9 pairs on the turn, I would bet turn and 1/2 pot river
Old 12-05-2005, 02:16 PM

Bet at least $50 on the flop. Villain probably has KK-TT and senses weakness on your flop bet. I really doubt he has 99 here and pots the turn (unless he's a thinker and feels you have top pair and a fd).
Old 12-05-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You made a standard opening bet, then bet half pot, then checked. How is villain supposed to know you're near as strong as you are. As far as I'm concerned, with the way you played, I put the rest of my chips in. This it AT-AQ far too often for you to be afraid. Medium aces love min-raising this flop to such a weak bet. And once you check the turn he probably puts you on a flush draw or something, or he thinks his AJ/AQ is good and is going for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

theres two things that make me think villian probably doesn't have AQ/AJ
1. He called a $15 bet from Utg pf...most rocks won't do this w/ AQ and definately not AJ and below.
2 He bet Pot on the turn. He seemed like a thinking player....why would he make such a huge bet that I would only call if I have him beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

let me try to clarify something here:
He can't have AQ here since he wouldn't bet it like that
He can't have any ace lower than AQ because he wouldn't call with those
He can't have 9's full because he knows you need a big hand to call here (you said it yourself) and there's no way you have one on that board.

So his hand range is zero :| Your read has to be off in one of those points.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said he couldn't have 99. Thats why I folded. I put 99 and AK at the top of my list. A bluff/semibluff is also possible here.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:47 PM

I think the villian has either AK or AQ of spades.
The only other hand he could reasonably have is 99.

Either way, he is either freerolling you (9 outs), you are significantly ahead (31 outs for entire pot), or way behind (2 outs).

I think AQs is the least likely hand as I don't think a 14/5 would cold call a raise with it (I know I don't and I am 22/12). I would however cold call your raise with AKs or 99.

I would have folded to the flop min-raise, too often that is a set. Although it would be easier to fold if you just be the pot on the flop.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:53 PM

Check/raise turn all in. Lose stack. I always do that line the first time against the opponent here, though. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised and beat AQ or a draw.