Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: real estate agents

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i am going into the business. tell me things here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work tehcinical support for Realtor.com and all I can say is that Realtors are the most impatient, rude people you will meet. Also most all of them are very high strung extremely stressed out people who are working way to hard for the amount they make.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your input. This book I got says that I shouldnt be available 24/7 to my clients, and that I should interview clients before taking them on and not accept about 30% who are going to be rude and/or time wasters. Hopefully this will help me avoid being overworked and stressed out.

And since I am patient and polite, I will maybe either rock or suck at selling.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:46 PM

Your timing is poor.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:46 PM

if you're showing a house to two hot chicks and some cheesy music comes on, you're about to get really lucky.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:59 PM

I just started this past June. I still have a day job, but I have my license hanging in an office and I am working with my 3rd and 4th clients right now. Here is my take so far. And some of my background for perspective.

My day job is as a chip designer. I have a BSEE. Most of the people I work with there have a Master's or greater.

The first thing to realize is that the job of a real estate agent is about 50% real estate and 50% networking, getting clients. That is once you are established. In the begining its probably 80% networking.

Second. To put it bluntly there are a LOT of morons with a license. So be prepared to watch the other parties agent like a hawk so their screwup doesn't hose your deal. For people who are just looking for an agent talk to several. Take notes of what they say, and then ask or check it out. Try to eliminate ones that don't know what they are talking about.

You need a lot of patience. Since your clients usually don't know a ton about real estate you have to have patience to explain things really well. Make sure you explain everything too. Don't assume that something is common knowledge since it probably isn't.

It took me about 6 weeks to realize that if you want to make real money in real estate just as in everything else, you gotta be the boss. From the beginning your goal should be to learn all you can and open your own office. I am a part-time agent for my first year while wife finishes grad school. Then I should have a better grasp of how I like the real estate as a full-time job.

Marcus

PS I am in the bay area, shoot me an e-mail if you have more questions, etc. E-mail is my first name @csrrealty.com
Old 10-12-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your timing is poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where I live real estate is going crazy.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
loc: California

[/ QUOTE ]

you're set.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
loc: California

[/ QUOTE ]

you're set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also I live in a retirement/2nd home area that is in the mountains next to skii'ing.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:01 PM

I live in California too. Past performance does not guarantee future results.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're showing a house to two hot chicks and some cheesy music comes on, you're about to get really lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder why that particular plot is in so many "movies".............
Old 10-12-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just started this past June. I still have a day job, but I have my license hanging in an office and I am working with my 3rd and 4th clients right now. Here is my take so far. And some of my background for perspective.

My day job is as a chip designer. I have a BSEE. Most of the people I work with there have a Master's or greater.

The first thing to realize is that the job of a real estate agent is about 50% real estate and 50% networking, getting clients. That is once you are established. In the begining its probably 80% networking.

Second. To put it bluntly there are a LOT of morons with a license. So be prepared to watch the other parties agent like a hawk so their screwup doesn't hose your deal. For people who are just looking for an agent talk to several. Take notes of what they say, and then ask or check it out. Try to eliminate ones that don't know what they are talking about.

You need a lot of patience. Since your clients usually don't know a ton about real estate you have to have patience to explain things really well. Make sure you explain everything too. Don't assume that something is common knowledge since it probably isn't.

It took me about 6 weeks to realize that if you want to make real money in real estate just as in everything else, you gotta be the boss. From the beginning your goal should be to learn all you can and open your own office. I am a part-time agent for my first year while wife finishes grad school. Then I should have a better grasp of how I like the real estate as a full-time job.

Marcus

PS I am in the bay area, shoot me an e-mail if you have more questions, etc. E-mail is my first name @csrrealty.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I sold for 6 years.
A license is way too easy to get.
poster is correct that you need to watch the other agents like a hawk. They will screw it up out of incompetence and there is a serious lack of ethics among brokers.....
the saying is 20% of the brokers make 80% of the money, pretty accurate.
and that 20% will be your ethical group.
beware the 24/7 availbility thing, it is a sneaky stress machine. Voice mail is your friend, but don't even answer that for extended periods of time. If you are taking calls on the golf course I will gladly make life insurance payments if I can be your beneficiary.........

and properly managed it can be lucrative and easy.

good luck.