Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Problem with playing in my sleep

When I was a philosophy student I would have dreams about logic and deduction with formal schemas, it was awful. I have also dreamed about chess, poker and other 'stressful' activities. It's just your brain continuing to work on these problems after you have turned off, and it will undoubtedly improve your middle-game. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2005, 10:40 PM

U probebly get dis kind of problem when u play a lot. Play lesser is the only choice.

Its normal do sleap is only a continum of the awaken time.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I should switch to backgammon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you would rather dream of backgammon instead of chess...
Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 PM

I always thought as a kid that whatever I thought about when I was falling asleep would have an outcome in what I dreamed about. (I could never remember my dreams so I'm not sure if it works.) Just think intently about anything BUT poker. It's worth a try.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:17 PM

There is a bunch of experimental evidence now that animals replay some learned tasks in their mind during sleep. For example:

Louie, K. & Wilson, M. A. Temporally structured replay of awake hippocampal ensemble activity during rapid eye movement sleep. Neuron 29, 145-156 (2001).

There is also evidence that if the replay is disrupted via stimulation during sleep, the animals do not retain the learned task as well:

Wilson, M. A. Hippocampal memory formation, plasticity, and the role of sleep. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory 78, 565-569 (2002).

So instead of thinking of your dreams as being bad, think of it as your brain rehearsing what it has learned so that you will remember it better. It's good to dream about what you are working on or learning.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:51 AM

Anything you do during the day will be processed in your sleep. The best ways to minimize that is to have many different activities and brain uses during the day so that no particular topic sticks out in your attention while you are sleeping. Not playing right before sleep is helpful, something like a 1-2 hour break before bed is ideal, kind of like how you shouldn't eat anything around that time too in order that you body can fully relax and not "digest" anything, food or otherwise.

Taking up meditation would help a lot. Daily exercise would also be a good idea. Something to think about also, anything you do for more than a couple hours a day changes your emotional, physical, physiological, and energetic states. i.e. you are sending signals to your body and brain that say "I want to be a poker/chess/MTG/ signal processing system", and the body slowly adapts to that. The obvious effects would be on your posture, becoming shortsighted, developing wrist problems, thinking about poker "too often", wanting to talk about poker more than you do, and so on.

Just FYI, I have poker dreams almost every night when I play more than 5-6 hours/day, especially when its right before bed, which it often is. It can be very frustrating, although I can say hands down that it is preferable to the "Lemmings" dreams I had for a few weeks back in High School. The "Tetris" dreams were pretty annoying too...
Old 09-30-2005, 11:22 AM

make sure you stop playing about 1-2 hours before sleep. Turn on some music when you go to sleep, usually helped me (could try music you usually listen to or something like sounds of the ocean type cds)
Old 09-30-2005, 12:13 PM

Ya know, i wonder. I see my GF about 30 hours a week yet rarely if /ever/ dream about her. I wonder if my brain doesn't like her.

I used to play a text based game (MUD) several hours a day and would have text dream sequences. That, i believe, makes me an uber geek.

ps. the guy that said just be brain dead before you sleep is a bright cookie - that helped me. The daily show then sleep = fewer remembered dreams over the last 2 years.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:19 PM

I used to have this problem with chess as well.

Though--- it was actually a relief. I preferred it over dream-thinking about my engineering research, school, etc.

Since becoming a poker player (and putting chess aside), the chess-dreams stopped-- though I don't find myself dreaming of poker.