Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: The Amazing Paul Darden

Once again, to clarify:

^^^ Look at how the hands are placed in the hole card cam. Left hand cupped, fingers together, and slightly over the right hand.

Now, look at this picture.

Check Bigler, old white guy on right. See?
Old 05-31-2005, 04:31 AM

Are you Paul Phillips' advance team?
Old 05-31-2005, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

One that definitely was spliced up badly was the Hellmuth/Tony D hand in 2003WSOP. Board had two jacks and a king on the turn, and Hellmuth had 77. Tony D had JT. Tony made a sizeable bet, Hellmuth raised, and Tony D folded. Except when the camera is on Tony D, he's not holding chips, but when it gets to his hole-card cam you can clearly see him holding a stack of chips in his right hand.

It's all on Paul Phillip's page in greater explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got an AVI of the hand, (I think I got it here actually) and just to clarify: on fourth street the board is KJ4[J], Tony D checks, Phil bets out, Tony D check-raises, and then Phil re-raises.

And, I don't believe Paul Phillips proved that the hand was 'faked', but just that they really butchered the splicing of the footage. Two very different things.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:54 AM

He didn't prove the hands were faked with the footage, but it is part of a broader field of evidence that indicts ESPN for the WSOP 2003.

I think producers may have even admitted that they faked some hands.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One that definitely was spliced up badly was the Hellmuth/Tony D hand in 2003WSOP. Board had two jacks and a king on the turn, and Hellmuth had 77. Tony D had JT. Tony made a sizeable bet, Hellmuth raised, and Tony D folded. Except when the camera is on Tony D, he's not holding chips, but when it gets to his hole-card cam you can clearly see him holding a stack of chips in his right hand.

It's all on Paul Phillip's page in greater explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got an AVI of the hand, (I think I got it here actually) and just to clarify: on fourth street the board is KJ4[J], Tony D checks, Phil bets out, Tony D check-raises, and then Phil re-raises.

And, I don't believe Paul Phillips proved that the hand was 'faked', but just that they really butchered the splicing of the footage. Two very different things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as he says, you can believe what you like, but would YOU fold for ~40k in an ~80k pot with JJJ here?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:48 AM

Apparently, at least in the case of this one hand, it was a bad editing job rather than a faked hand. I talked to Tony D about this hand during a cash game at the Bicycle a few months ago, and he confirmed that he folded trip Jacks on that hand. However, they must have either edited in shots from the wrong timepoints during the hand, or edited in him looking at a previous (or later) hand where he again had JT. According to Tony D, he definitely folded the trips.

Everybody else at our table was shocked also when he told us this (in response to my question). We all had thought it was faked, even in the absence of any indisputable evidence, because none of us could believe he would fold in that spot.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 05-31-2005, 10:04 AM

Nice hat.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, at least in the case of this one hand, it was a bad editing job rather than a faked hand. I talked to Tony D about this hand during a cash game at the Bicycle a few months ago, and he confirmed that he folded trip Jacks on that hand. However, they must have either edited in shots from the wrong timepoints during the hand, or edited in him looking at a previous (or later) hand where he again had JT. According to Tony D, he definitely folded the trips.

Everybody else at our table was shocked also when he told us this (in response to my question). We all had thought it was faked, even in the absence of any indisputable evidence, because none of us could believe he would fold in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he obviously easily still could be playing poker.....
Old 05-31-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you ask him why he made such a rediclious fold?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:34 PM

the hellmuth/i forget the other guys name(johnny g or something like that) hand from the 2003 wsop where he folded his trips for no reason was discussed in length by paul phillips and i could not believe the fold when i first saw the episode, the pot was huge, he had trips on an uncoordinated board and he folded to hellmuths small raise, plus the hole card cam shows phil hellmuths seat, but no phil hellmuth in the hand. i believe this is what they were referring to.

rj