Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

View Poll Results: I should:
Fold 17 21.52%
Call 21 26.58%
Reraise 41 51.90%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: What do you do when someone comes to your table and panhandles?

The city that I live in has a reputation as being an 'easy mark' for panhandlers. We get people from all over the area that bus in and panhandle on our streets. One woman has a nice house two towns over who collects disability yet panhandles with the pitch 'Help Victims of Domestic Violence'.

My standard reply is "I'm sorry, I can't help you." When confronted at the poker table, my reply is the same.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:37 AM

Priceless lori... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2005, 10:39 AM

It's based loosely on an old Monty Python sketch where a guy collecting for charity approaches a merchant banker, but they still seem to give the right lines anyway.

Lori
Old 02-21-2005, 01:06 PM

Happened a couple times on Absolute, I tell them that they have been good luck for me since they have been there and that if I reach X amount I will give them a few bucks (LIE).

X is about +50BB so I had a cheering section for awhile before they got tired of waiting.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:45 PM

I either make fun of them if I'm feeling witty or ignore them if I'm not.

Stars is the worst for panhandlers-probably because you can make micro-transfers from player to player. The main problem at Party are the dooshbags selling "Party Poker Cracked" and similar crap. I've seen little panhandling at the other sites I play (UB, Full Tilt, Planet, 24h).
Old 02-21-2005, 02:40 PM

You know, I voted for "ignore", but after some of the responses, I might feel compelled to come up with a witty remark or two if I encounter a panhandler (not that I ever find any at the .5/1 tables).

[ QUOTE ]
The main problem at Party are the dooshbags selling "Party Poker Cracked" and similar crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was watching my brother play $25 NL on Party the other day and someone came along trying to sell some BS like that. My response, "Lose weight now! Ask me how!" Got a few chuckles, which makes me the coolest. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2005, 02:44 PM

They usually don't usually come to the 2/4 tables so it's not a problem for me, though I wish they would so I could [censored] with them.

One of my friends plays 15/30 and he gets a good laugh with them. He will have them write poems or songs about how great he is or how much of a pathetic loser the person is to be asking for a dollar. Then tell them the song isn't good enough and to write another or do something else.

Then after a bit he will just screw with them and tell them he transfered the money. Tell them he was feeling generous and went ahead and added a couple zeros to the end of what he was asking for, so he transfered $500 instead of $5. Then the guy gets all excited until it's been like 20 mins and no money.

Then the nice closer is always to repeat the song about the person being a loser and telling them that is why they aren't getting any money.

You gotta have fun with the punks at their own expense and then report them [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2005, 02:50 PM

Lorinda: That is hilarious!
Old 02-21-2005, 05:48 PM

(A) If you can afford a computer (or a day old chili dog, for that matter) how come you don't have a buck to play with?

(B) How much of a genius/zen monk/lucky bastard would you have to be to parlay a dollar bankroll into anything? You're actualy being kind by NOT putting somebody in that situation.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Beware the panhandler trick

often they come to table and all of a sudden start talking to me like im a friend or buddy. They say hows it going, real chummy and all, and of course i don't know if i know the person, i have played and chatted with so many i may have forgotten.

Then they also talk about how you clenaed them out last time etc...

then eventually they get to tpart asking if i could help them out and lend anything from $5 to $100 and i know they been trying to play me.

Thing is, i have seen others fall for this