Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Anthony Robbins

NLP
Old 10-09-2005, 12:06 AM

what do you expect? you are seeking like advice from a retarded ape like ceature
Old 10-09-2005, 12:15 AM

His first book is actually quite good. His ideas on modeling and neurolinguistic programming are quite good. Apparently a lot of that comes from Scientology, but he is no longer a Scientologist. The ideas are good enough that I don't think Scientology coming up with them first discredits them at all, and I'm quite the non-Scientology fan, in a big way.

His second book gets a bit unintentionally hilarious and was a big drop down, I thought. His attempting to patent a word he made up in it and try to sneak it into paragraph after paragraph made the book cumbersome and start to slide into sleazy hucksterism in a way the first book didn't do at all. The second book had moments where I was really gritting my teeth over the cheesiness. To the extent that I can think, I can do it, and more clearly, too, without saying Yabba Dabba Doo or whatever his patented Japanse-sounding word was.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:24 AM

His stuff is valuable and yes, compressed NLP. But, NLP is so all over the place that finding value in the original work is difficult. And, no, it's not speaking to people in a way that controls them. That's a part of it, you can learn those techniques, but it is much more about controlling your own brain. NLP is widely touted as a "users manual" to the brain. Many of the techniques have been very effective for me in the past. It's worth looking into seriously.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:56 AM

I always thought it was something I wouldn't mind knowing more about, too. I do believe that you can program yourself negatively without realizing it, and that you have to be careful about the thoughts and thought patterns you indulge in.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:03 AM

Back in high school, a friend of mine used to take a set of false teeth his granddad had, and put them in his mouth over his real teeth. They made his mouth so big that he couldn't close his lips all the way. We laughed so hard, we started crying. We called him Tony Robins from that point on.

Oh, we were very high too.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:10 AM

This sounds very interesting. Does anyone have some good links?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:26 AM

link
Old 10-09-2005, 10:23 AM

I read the two books. I didn't practice the modeling stuff.

The parts about clear communication both internally and to others, clarifying goals and values, and taking constant action toward acheiving what you want I found very helpful. I particularly use the idea that you don't need to see instant results. You just keep monitoring what you are doing right now, and where you are; over time you will find yourself moving the direction you want to go.

I know he didn't pioneer any of these concepts. I just happened to pick them up in his books.