Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 01:06 PM

Default An Introduction and a question

I have been beating 25$ and lower for 6 months on Doyle's room now. My play is and always has been intuitive, If I had to rely on my math skills I would prolly fry!
I have skimmed through a couple dozen poker books which helped me not lose $ as I was beginning, but I still had to learn alot of lessons the hard way. SNG poker at first was like trying to read a book with my face a half inch from the page, I couldn't understand the big picture, I had no Idea how long the long run is for you guys that play 1000s of these while multi tabling.
I was always just single tabling my ass off at these low limits which probably made for a great ROI (I didn't keep records) but it wasn't optimal for $/hr, and every Bad beat and swing hurt and was very discouraging.
For me failure isn't an option I just got out of the Air force and I am going to make this my living. Last month I cashed out 900 from doyles room, which along with a $500 monthly retirement check I will have my very inexpensive bills covered untill I improve my game.
I have been lurking 2+2 for a couple of days now and I have decided to become involved. Reading posts about ROI bubble play and other things I'd already thought about but never had a word do describe has been encouraging and eye opening.
Raptor is my fav. poster as I've yet to see him use a # in a post -holla

I am here to stay as a 2+2er. I'm gonna to be the guy with 5000 posts and stories of a 70 buy in downswing at the 109s
(I have never had that kind of $ in my life)
Lame tired intro aside. I am gonna get right into a question.

I have heard that alot of guys 8+ tabling pretty much pass on anything less than AA KK AK and maybe QQ in levels 1-3
Well, first off I am not yet comfortable doing any more than 4 tables. So I was wondering If this high preflop standard is considered optimal early? or is it because you have so many tables running at once you dont have the time to get involved in other speculative hands. If you were playing 25$< buy ins what are your starting requirements early and how do you play them preflop? Also am I an idiot for playing on Doyle's room? I have heard it is a tight site.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: An Introduction and a question

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna to ...post stories of a 70 buy in downswing at the 109s

[/ QUOTE ]

Please never do this.

Many of the posters play more than 3-4 hands early, raptor only does this cuz he's a bot. Welcome to the forums [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have been lurking 2+2 for a couple of days now

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome.

[ QUOTE ]
Raptor is my fav. poster as I've yet to see him use a # in a post -holla

[/ QUOTE ]

now leave.

Just kidding. As far as your question about lvls 1-3, I don't see much of a difference. Sure if you're only playing 1-4 tables you can pay more attention and make more "plays" or whatever based on reads but it's not worth it at the lower limits. All the chips are won in the late game, so why get involved early with marginal holdings? From the 55s down it's all about pushbotting.

If you want to play SNGs, move to the party network. I don't know Doyle's structure (guessing t1500 stacks) but the party network is where it's at. More players, more tables, t800 so higher $/hr rate. Easy decision

holla

aloha
Old 10-03-2005, 01:25 PM

I currently 8 table the 109's - although I subscribe to the tight weak style of play for the first 1-4 levels.. I certainly don't pass on anything less then QQ - set value (if the price is right) in the early levels accounts for many of my double ups.. a set is easier to play then top pair with AK..

but this is me - you got to play your own game homie!! -
if you think you have an edge over your opponents with postflop play.. get involved!

I can't speak for anyone that 12 tables.. but playing 8 tables .. with practice.. and two monitors.. is easy - particularly in the first 3 levels.. this is when I read this forum.. or take notes

Just play your own game playa!! - and get off Doyle's room.. who wants to look at his ugly face all afternoon!

cheers.. and happy retirement
Old 10-03-2005, 01:25 PM

if you're playing 10000000 tables, your time is too valuable/scarce to screw around with "marginal" hands like JJ/AQ. for the normals, not limping 55 behind a couple of limpers in the first two levels is a sin.

welcome to the forum.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:28 PM

Doyle's has 8 min rounds 20/40, 30/60, 50/100, 100/200, 150/300, 200/400 etc. blinds you start with 2,000.
What is pushbotting?
How do I quote?
Old 10-03-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do I quote?

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome Mr.Flex! I was an AirForce guy myself (10yrs in Miss/N.Carolina/Alabama).

Quote: Hit "Quote" instead of "Reply"

pushbot = when you get to the later rounds (~10x bb's or fewer) you go all-in or fold pre-flop. the 2+2 bible is to play very tight early and then push-bot your way into the money.

to quote an entire response, click "quote" instead of "reply." to make a quote, use the "instant ubb code" below where you type. quote is bottom right.

[ QUOTE ]
if you're playing 10000000 tables, your time is too valuable/scarce to screw around with "marginal" hands like JJ/AQ. for the normals, not limping 55 behind a couple of limpers in the first two levels is a sin.

welcome to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying jj and 22+ are marginal (well i guess i will) but def limp them for set value early. (derr yes at the higher buyins position affects this but not at the 11s)

and yes getting caught up with aq early is a sin

holla

aloha
Old 10-03-2005, 01:40 PM

I usually limp with any pocket pair after 2 limpers in levels 1 and 2 and maybe level 3 depending on how many chips I have. It probably depends on the structure as to how to play early on. On Party, you only get 800 chips at the 33's and below, so you just can't be limpin a lot with drawing hands or many times you won't have many chips left when it get to level 4. On sites with more chips it may (or may not) be ok to be looser.