Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Why don\'t you give me half your money, I\'ll kick you in the nuts...

...and we'll call it a day.

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but I was wondering if any of you have comparable stories.

B&M 1-3 Hold'em game playing very deep. Average stack is near $1000, with a 2 or 3 over $2k. I have $1500, Button has about $400. UTG covers both.

I pick up 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in late position. UTG raises to $20, 3 call, I call, Button calls, BB calls. UTG is crazy, and makes this raise with any suited or two high cards. Strangely, he won't raise real premium hands.

Flop 3 4 6, two diamonds, one spade.

UTG bets $25 into the $140 pot, all fold to me (yeah, that kind of game). I call, Button calls, BB folds. At this point, I'm reading UTG solidly for diamonds.

Turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG bets $50. I just call, Button calls. Pot is around $365. At this point, I think Button has a 6 or is open ended with a 5.

River 9 - Board of 3 4 6 8 9
UTG bets $50 again. I'm pretty sure he missed his diamond draw. Though I think the Button has me, I also think he can't call a decent bet here. So I announce, "Raise." As soon as the words are out, Button grabs his stack and picks it up like he's calling no matter what. I now want to lose the minimum possible, so I grab 4 chips to make it $100 and accidently fling 4 black chips out instead. Oddly, Button insta-mucks. UTG says almost immediately, "OK, I call."

Me: "It's all you buddy, all I have is a pair of sixes." Him: "That's all? I have a straight." And tables Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Gotta love it.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Why don\'t you give me half your money, I\'ll kick you in the nuts..

[ QUOTE ]
Button grabs his stack and picks it up like he's calling no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic Mike Caro's Book of Tells right here...

Typically, people who go for their chips and try to look menacing are just trying to prevent you from raising.

Raise the turn.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Why don\'t you give me half your money, I\'ll kick you in the nuts..

Enough with the Caro's Book of Tells. Does anyone still really use that book? And besides, I had already announced the raise.

I realize the hand is not played "optimally" or in the best traditions of 2+2 poker.

Please remain focused and attempt to grasp the point. Its funny, at least to me.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:53 AM

Just so I don't misread, guy called 400$ with Q high
Old 07-08-2005, 12:54 AM

You read correctly.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:56 AM

that is beautiful.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:50 AM

Oh wow, I'm dumb too and can't read the board [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Why don\'t you give me half your money, I\'ll kick you in the nuts...

[ QUOTE ]
Button grabs his stack and picks it up like he's calling no matter what. I now want to lose the minimum possible

[/ QUOTE ]

come on, you didn't really fall for this did you
Old 07-08-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Why don\'t you give me half your money, I\'ll kick you in the nuts...

yeah this is exactly when you should be moving in
Old 07-08-2005, 05:55 AM

I dont think that you guys understand. The man thought that he had a straight. So in this instance the OP's read of the situation was correct