Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 09:27 AM

Default straight draw

Hi
how bad is this play? raiser bets the pot, should I fold this openended straight draw? How do I play a draw like this in NL, I've just started play NL and Im not realy shure how I should be thinking in a situation like this.
And if the preflop call was bad, ok. But how do I play a draw.. Any help please.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 ($198.35)
MP1 ($196.5)
Hero ($195)
MP3 ($203)
CO ($164.55)
Button ($259.8)
SB ($84.8)
BB ($196.7)
UTG ($191)
UTG+1 ($211.45)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $6</font>, Hero (poster) calls $4, MP3 calls $6, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: ($21) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $20</font> Hero ??
Old 06-22-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: straight draw

This depends on a couple of things.

(1) How likely he will check/fold the turn and river if you call.

(2) If you can take all his money if hit the straight (or at least $80 of it) on the turn.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:56 AM

Since you have position you can do lots of things.

1. fold - because you are getting a bad price to hit your straight - and the bettor is showing strength - he has shown it preflop and now shows it again on the flop. If you miss your draw on the turn - then he is very likely to bet very strongly again.

2. Raise - you can raise here - which might win you the pot, but it might also get villain to reraise (bad news). Raise would be a semi-bluff - if called then you have outs. Villain *could* have AK, and you could push him off it with your raise. This is expensive, and risky as villain has shown strength - we would like to know more about villain before trying this regularly.

3. Call - you can flat call hoping to hit the turn - but you are not getting a good price, so you need villain to pay you off when you hit (if you hit) fairly often. However, villain might not have a real hand - and if you call him here, he might check the turn, and you stand some chance of stealing it there - again we need to know more about villain to try this.

Fold is the best option you simply dont have the right price - and folding preflop would avoid this situation. If we know that villain is a lunatic the raise would be good and if we know villain wont ever shut down with a big hand - then perhaps we can call - as implied odds would be fairly large.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:02 AM

Fold, there is one player left to act and you wouldn't be too happy if that player raises again. Also, your implied odds if you hit the straight aren't specially good.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:31 AM

thanks, ok so I called, maybe not the best thing to do.. I didnt hit the straight, but another club came on the board. Original raiser bets out again, like 75% of the pot, my move now??
Old 06-22-2005, 10:37 AM

Now you have odds (but you have already made your mistake).

You are about 2/1 to hit - and you are getting the right odds to call. Hero certainly has a hand, and you might get paid on the clubs because they are backdoor clubs. And you probably get paid on a straight too. Likely villain has AQ or better.

I call this, and hope that villain doesnt have better clubs than me (oohhh the pain).

So..

Pot is $40, he bets $30, you each have $50 behind or so?

You are about 2.5:1 to hit on river (he could have some of your outs), and getting almost that, so I think I call here, and just push on the river if checked to.

So..

You are about 2.5:1 to hit on river (he could have some of your outs), and getting almost that, so I think I call here, and just push on the river if checked to when you hit.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So..

You are about 2.5:1 to hit on river (he could have some of your outs), and getting almost that, so I think I call here, and just push on the river if checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

both players start with nearly 200.
The cost to see flop is 6, the cost to see turn is 20, the cost to see river is about 45.

Thats a total of 71 leaving about 130 remaining - which is quite a lot.

And you have 15 cards out of 46 which is 31:15 or almost exactly 2:1. You are getting odds of 105:45 or 21:9 which is about 2.3:1. And there is plenty of money left to bet.

Clear call on the turn - even if he folds to your bet then your call is good.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:56 AM

Right, my fault. I thought this was $100NL for some reason.