Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2002, 05:04 AM

Default Am I Going To Hell?? :-O

$3-$6 game at my local B&M.

Q8o in big blind, 7 or so see the flop for one bet. Flop AQ3 rainbow. I check, everyone else checks to the button. As he goes to bet, dealer partially flips the turn (the room I play in currently has a bunch of new dealers who are HORRIBLE and make follies like this all the time) and I get a brief glance at the card before she puts it back on the top of the deck. Anywho, button makes his bet and I am faced with quite a predicament...I'm 90% sure the turn will be a black queen, giving me trips and having a 50% shot of completing the rainbow.

In this game I would normally fold in this situation most of the time, but now I don't know what to do. Sould I muck like I would've if i didn't see the turn, or do I stay in because it's not my fault I saw the card? To make a long story short, I call as do 2 others. Someone makes a comment to the dealer that someone could've seen the card, and player in the 1 seat who folded says "Well the only people who could've are out of the hand anyway" (he was referring to himself and the 10 seat....I was in the 5 seat and saw it, so I'm thinking that I must've been looking at just the right angle at the right second)

So, I decide to pretend I just decided to gamble and got lucky. I checkraise the turn, get two callers, bet the river and get called down by a strong ace.

After thinking about the hand for the next hour or so, I begin to feel like I did something unethical.

What would you have done? or more importantly, what was the right thing to do?

Thanks for any comments - JAA

Old 12-19-2002, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Am I Going To Hell?? :-O

You should have said you saw the card.

Old 12-19-2002, 06:01 AM

Yes in hindsight this has been the conclusion I have come to. Although I had two qualms: a.) I would've felt like a real idiot if I was wrong about the card, and b.) I knew most of the people at the table and I couldn't picture ANY of them indicating that they saw the card.

Obviously this is no excuse not to be a better person, but in the heat of the moment I kinda just went with the flow. I won't lie I'm not impressed with my judgment in this situation.

- JAA
Old 12-19-2002, 06:09 AM

BTW, if you didn't see the turn card in advance, you shouldn't be folding on the flop. In fact, you should probably be check-raising when the bet comes from the button.

Old 12-19-2002, 06:37 AM

Regardless of the ethical questions... you should have checkraised the flop... not called.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:41 AM

real answer looks like more than one person saw the card.

interesting that none of them admitted it (although one of the guys kinda did admit it but says didnt matter since he folded)

what a game.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:58 AM

It would have ruined my nights sleep, but we are all different . Hope u learn 2 be a better person in the future. :-)
Old 12-19-2002, 07:01 AM

BTW, if you didn't see the turn card in advance, you shouldn't be folding on the flop. In fact, you should probably be check-raising when the bet comes from the button .

Normally I would agree, but not against the lineup I was playing with. The game at that point of the night was EXTREMELY passive. Note that the caller had AJ and the button didn't show but said he had a weak A.

There were only two players in that game that would bet that flop without an A, and neither were involved in the hand.

- JAA
Old 12-19-2002, 07:05 AM

I'm interested to hear why you would check-raise the flop here. If you know you're going to trip on the turn, wouldn't you want to let bottom pairs/unpaired high cards chase for one bet if they want to? Also, if I check-raised the flop I would be unable to checkraise the turn....

Maybe what you're saying is purposely neglecting me knowing that I was going to turn trips....In which case you can see my response to Dynasty above when he made a similar comment.

- JAA
Old 12-19-2002, 07:07 AM

Default Well, I\'ll sure as hell try to! N/M