Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 03:08 PM

Default What I Learned from Accidentally Entering a Limit Tournament -- Really

Last night I signed up for a $50 MTT tourney online. If I had realized it was a limit tourney, I never would have signed up. Same old story -- who hasn't made this mistake.

Anyway, I played it out. And I hope my experience will help my no limit game. It showed me, as much as anything, the importance of being agressive. It's something I've known and tried to do in no-limit. But knowing I couldn't be re-raised for all my chips made me more willing to take the gloves off. It's an eye-opener, because you really begin to realize how often (even if you yourself have no hand) that no one else does either. So I took the agression to a new level just to see what would happen. With no one in the pot first, I almost always raised from late position and followed it up on the flop no matter what came. When heads up, I almost always led out with a bet out on the flop. Anyway, you get the picture. I stole beaucoup pots and sometimes got paid off when the flop hit me hard, and ended up taking first. Obviously, I was willing to fold even pretty good hands with a raise in front or when my opponent made it clear he had a hand.

We'll see if my experience translates to better no limit play. But I think I'm going to be more willing now to amp the agressiveness. You might want to try a limit tourney sometime. It was kind of an eye-opener for me.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: What I Learned from Accidentally Entering a Limit Tournament -- Re

Yeah, I had a hard time getting out of one the other day. Actually about 4 of us at the table mentioned that we really wanted NL. So I raise the flop, raise the turn, and they keep folding. It was anoying...

By the 3rd of 4th hand of this I would hit a pair of 6's, and win. Baaaaah.

Fudo
Old 01-21-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: What I Learned from Accidentally Entering a Limit Tournament -- Really

LOL , try a 5.5 limit it is awful.

Typical hand

8 to the flop
5 to the turn
4 to the river
3 showdown

goodtimes......... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2005, 08:04 PM

The thing that drives me nuts about limit is the inability to protect your hand. If I flop a set, but someone's got an open ended straight draw, there's little I can do to get him out except raise however much I'm limited to.

No Limit has its chasers. But at least you can knock them out in a few hands. Limit, you just deal.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that drives me nuts about limit is the inability to protect your hand. If I flop a set, but someone's got an open ended straight draw, there's little I can do to get him out except raise however much I'm limited to.

No Limit has its chasers. But at least you can knock them out in a few hands. Limit, you just deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or better yet, make them over pay for their missed draws.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:12 PM

its a different game.

drawing hands go up in value. so what. just adjust.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:14 AM

I adjust quite well! I adjust by just not playing limit! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]