Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 10:27 AM

Default 30/60 on Stars--Better play?

I played this hand standardly, but is there a better way to play it to have a better chance of it being good at the end? Ive been getting outdrawn a lot lately, so just wondering.

Here are my notes from a few orbits of watching and one of playing. Average flop percentage is nearly 40, so people arent afraid to put some bets in with some raggedy crap. MP1 is very agressive. He has raised one limper from MP with J9o and has raised a lot of hands since we sat down. Button has played about 50% of the hands and uses any excuse to get agressive. SB is an idiot, has cold called every raise so far, but folds when there is no raise to him.

PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (11 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

River: (16.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

Here are my thoughts: I thought about going for the limp reraise, but noone respected MP1, and I was afraid that we would take the flop 7 or 8 handed, and it would be tougher for QQ to hold up. I was actually hoping for a reraise, obviously. With KK or AA, it would have been a better spot for a limp reraise, but I dont think I would have wanted to bloat the pot so much (my limp would mean 4 or 5 behind me with K8o and the like).

I couldnt go for the checkraise on the flop, because I didnt want to trap anyone in there. With the aggro on my left who may raise with ace high, any draw, or any pair(pocket or otherwise), I was trying to eliminate the other two.

The turn card innocuous, and when MP1 raises, Im pretty sure I have him beat. When SB cold calls 2, I have him beat as well, but he may be on a draw(he would call the flop with 75 of hearts or worse), hence the mandatory 3 bet. The river card is so ugly, that I had to check I think. The aggro could have waited for the turn with top pair, SB may have cold called 2 with it, or the backdoor draw. I was hoping the aggro would bet, either as a bluff or an attempt at a value bet, which I would call or overcall.

The result is that MP1 had AK, and the SB had ATo, and MHWG. It just seems like I took the maximum chance to be outdrawn by my opponents, which is not good in such a big pot. Is there any other way to play it. With 5 callers as opposed to 3, I may go for the turn checkraise, or maybe the flop checkraise to try to clear some of the people out of there. I find it very tough when people will bet and call with nothing, and I cant raise them out. Any tips, advice, comments?

Thanks in advance.
Jason
Old 01-07-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: 30/60 on Stars--Better play?

bet the river- the pot is big so they'll call with a ton of hands

I think you played the rest of hand fine.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:48 PM

I think you played it fine, with so many callers I would check the river too...
Old 01-07-2005, 06:47 PM

This is great flop for you. The only draw is the str8 and you have 2 of those outs. I'd check raise the flop _hoping_ to trap people in there.

$0.02
Fudo