Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 02:14 PM

Default yet another bankroll post

Lets say you are aggro but not too aggro. I used to keep 10 buy-ins for 1-2 and 2-4 and never had a problem. I moved that up to 15-20 for 3-6. Now at 5-10, what should it be. I don't really feel too comfortable under 20, so I'm thinking around 25 (this may just be for mental stability to play well - still getting used to the stakes). My biggest downswing in the game has been 6 buy-ins, and it sort of freaked me out. Granted, I'd say 1/2 of that loss was due to some bad play because I was playing when I shouldn't have been (too tired after work, etc.).

My poker bankroll is used only for poker and I never take money out (I have a good job at a trading firm) - so basically my goal is just to move up as fast as possible while beating the game.

What's the biggest downswing regular 5-10 players have had that you can remember? Thanks!
Old 03-02-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: yet another bankroll post

hahaha i just posted the exact thing
Old 03-02-2005, 02:53 PM

The most I've been down is about 8 buyins playing 2-3 tables of 5/10 NL about 25 hours per week for the last 4 months or so. I feel during that stretch it should have only been about 4 or 5 though, rest cause of drunk/stupid play. I think 20 buyins is fine. If your down 10 then I think thats a good time to step back/down and reevaluate.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:27 PM

I play mostly 10/20 nl and would reccomend having a playing roll of no less than 15x buyin at this level, if at all possible keep it at over 25 x buyin and upwards for comfort.

When I was adjusting to this level i had 3 months in my first year that was minus 12 buyins and one that was minus 9. Since then loss months that severe have become rare but do occasionally happen.

Note I play mainly 6 person max tables which inevitably leads to a good ammount of shorthanded play. So i would say if you are going to stick to full tables for a while then the number of buyins may be less due to the smaller variance.

The whole bankroll topic is quite vague and I think the best advice is to find your own comfort level. Having read a bit from various authors there seems to be concrete analysis of required bankroll in limit games but a wide range of opinion, most conflicting on safe bankroll size for nl. If anyone has any extensive research on the topic I would be very interested in the results.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think 20 buyins is fine. If your down 10 then I think thats a good time to step back/down and reevaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I play mostly 10/20 nl and would reccomend having a playing roll of no less than 15x buyin at this level, if at all possible keep it at over 25 x buyin and upwards for comfort.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think both of those are very reasonable statements and guidelines.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:39 PM

I play like a crazy a-hole and feel good with 15 buy ins.