Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 09:59 AM

Default coin flip home game

I play in a home game where its NL winner take all and the blinds move up every 15 minutes but the way these guys play it amounts to about 6 or 7 hands at the most in 15 minutes. I'm getting sick of seeing 6 players every flop and people practically giving their stacks away to who ever scores a hand with 97o. There is virtually no bluffing without getting called by SOMEONE. I know I play too tight but it seems like I'm at a severe chip disadvantage in a matter of 10-15 hands. Is there strategy to make it less of a coin flip?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: coin flip home game

Wait for pocket rockets and hope they hold up against five other opponents.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:35 AM

is it worth playing in monetarily? If not I wouldn't play in a game like that, because it doesn't sound like it has much of a fun factor for you.

OK so push it all in when you have an edge, I can't imagine people are pushing all in w/ 9-7 are they?

If you want people to play better (and I am not sure why), try raising the stakes.

In a loose game where you can probably see a lot of cheap flops, play a lot more speculative hands, especially when you have position, and push your edges.

PG
Old 07-08-2005, 12:57 PM

I have a game like this with friends. I use it as a chance to work on my post flop strategy, as that is what this game turns into. You can lower your starting requirements and wait for a favorable flop.
Also remember that in order for a bluff to be profitable you must have a chance that your opponent will lay down his or her hand. It does not sound like this is happening in this game, so I would desert the idea of bluffing.
Make people pay for their draws when you feel you have the best hand, and don't fish yourself.
Other than that this game offers little opportunity for learning.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Wow, that doesn't make any sense at all. He says he doesn't get any hands in, and the tournament goes too fast. You suggest waiting for rockets?
-Sam
Old 07-08-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Wow, that doesn't make any sense at all. He says he doesn't get any hands in, and the tournament goes too fast. You suggest waiting for rockets?
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]
I was being sarcastic. Nonetheless, perhaps the structure is to blame? The blinds increase every 15 minutes and he says they only get in 7 or so hands every level, so either make the levels last longer or adjust them more accordingly to the amount of chips everyone starts with. Visit homepokertourney.com for more information on running home tournaments.

As for everyone shooting their chips in and jamming whenever possible, I can only recommend trying to see cheap flops and hoping to flop a monster or put all your chips in when you're a favorite and hope it holds up.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:15 PM

It sounds to me like you and your buddies need to play for higher stakes. what is your current buy in?
Old 07-09-2005, 02:56 AM

a) extend the time in between blind raises... tell them 15 minutes is fine for online -- with a millisecond long shuffle and deal in between hands -- but its not okay for live games where 5 or more of the 15 minutes are spent dealing and shuffling
b) put a timer on each players' decisions
c) find a different game or start your own
Old 07-09-2005, 05:06 PM

You guys have pointed out everything I thought was wrong with it. I don't really like to structure and I'll probably start my own game with the other player who complain along with me. Playing more flops is what I have to do, sometimes you just have to hear other people say it. I have to get out of that game before I start to play like those guys though.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play in a home game where its NL winner take all and the blinds move up every 15 minutes but the way these guys play it amounts to about 6 or 7 hands at the most in 15 minutes. I'm getting sick of seeing 6 players every flop and people practically giving their stacks away to who ever scores a hand with 97o. There is virtually no bluffing without getting called by SOMEONE. I know I play too tight but it seems like I'm at a severe chip disadvantage in a matter of 10-15 hands. Is there strategy to make it less of a coin flip?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately increase the blind times. I use 30 minute blind increments.

Also, since I've started recording our tournament results online, the players that make bad calls now see that they're losing in the long run, and this has encouraged them to change their game.

Here's my home league's stats: http://www.homepokerclub.net/clubstandings.php?clubid=1

steve
Check out my home league: <font color="orange">North Shore Low Rollers</font>