Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Folding for 1 bet on the river in a 17BB pot.

Fairly loose-passive table, obviously.
No real reads on opponents since I hadn't been sitting long and earlier in the day my hard drive died, taking my PT database with them.

Party Poker Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Folding for 1 bet on the river in a 17BB pot.

YIKES - fold on the river? For only 1 bet? unless you are 100% sure you are beat I gotta call down.

Sure he cold have a flush but . . . . .

I MIGHT have checked on the turn but I also might have bet like you did - depends how I feel.

I'll never forget the time I was 99% sure I had lost a huge pot to a flush OR straight when I found out to late the OTHER 3 guys were all bluffing!
Old 08-09-2005, 04:28 PM

This post makes me cry softly into my tie...

You should be three-betting this turn and betting this river unless capped.

Folding this river is on average an error on the scale of 10+ BB. That's five hours of work down the drain.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:29 PM

I call the river, due to the fact that the button could be slow playing the 4th jack. I know it's slim, but we don't need to be ahead on the river here very often to be profitable.

The flop is interesting to me. Given BB was the pre-flop aggressor it offers us the opportunity to protect or build a huge pot. This is a fairly draw heavy board and I think I would have lead the flop and let him raise to face the field with two cold. Flush draws still have odds to call but it makes it incorrect for gutshots to call. We can also 3-bet for value and charge any flush draws as much as possible to chase.

edit: The button could also have been semi-bluff raising a flush draw and/or oesd on the turn. Neither completed. Call the river.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:32 PM

The calls on the flop and the raise of the turn can be Jx as much as they're a flush. Bad river fold.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:34 PM

This is really, really bad. I mean, really. The flop looks fine. You have to at the very least call this down.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:34 PM

I just spit up my drink.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The flop is interesting to me. Given BB was the pre-flop aggressor it offers us the opportunity to protect or build a huge pot. This is a fairly draw heavy board and I think I would have lead the flop and let him raise to face the field with two cold. Flush draws still have odds to call but it makes it incorrect for gutshots to call. We can also 3-bet for value and charge any flush draws as much as possible to chase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think every street can generate some good discussion.

On the flop, I really don't think if I had led and the BB had raised that any flush draw would be folding. Since that's the case, I wanted to insure that I could get as many people as possible to put in at least 2 SBs. So, I went for the check-raise.

If I got to the river heads up with the turn-raiser, I most likely would have called his river bet. It was UTG+1's overcall on the turn that really scared me.
One of them might have a draw, but both of them???

If either of them have a made hand, it's a hand that beats me. The only possible "made" hand I can think of that I beat is JQ.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This post makes me cry softly into my tie...

[/ QUOTE ]

Into your tie? I guess I'm not the only one who sits at work, and spends half my day posting here then huh?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:45 PM

Is this a joke? I don't understand how you can be 94% sure you're up against a flush.

I'm sure villain showed the flush at showdown or else you wouldn't have posted this hand, so nice fold. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]