Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-06-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: A Couple of $25 Hands

I'm not arguing with the raise, or raising other solid hands like A23x, A25x, etc from EP. The people behind me last night were potting lots of junk hands from any position, and this is clearly a great hand to re-pot pre-flop and isolate with.

It was all part of my winning strategy last night. Only problem was that I wasn't winning.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:47 PM

The ONLY reason good reason for not potting it on the first hand pre-flop is if you think there is a good chance that someone will raise for you. If you hold AA24, what are the chances someone else has raising cards? Not quite so good, generally, but only you know the character of the table.

To me, AA24s is a hand that you want to get as much money in as possible pre-flop. It plays well multiway, and it plays even better heads-up or short handed. You want to be in position to give a substantial check-raise on the flop and letting everyone else in for .25 does not accomplish this at all.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:14 PM

It's true that I was basically stripping the deck with AA24, but super-aggro players at the table were pushing with JJxx, QQxx, KKxx, 2345. Basically, everyone was just looking for any opportunity to raise.

I can't quote any PFR%'s offhand (I'm at work), but yeah, there was plenty of maniacal play.

Like I said, I always appreciate the advice. In EP at this table, this seemed the best strategy. Would table captain/maniac/cybermonkey9 have played his rags for $.85? I'd say at least 1/2 the time, given my experience with him. Clearly, he was limping with a marginal/garbage hand from a bad position.

If I was in any other position, there's no way I would have limped with that hand. I try be conscious of pot size on all streets, and do my best to manipulate, when not being an idiot.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I hate to say it, but the spiteful villains at $25 know that a raise to .85 in EP spells Aces, and gives them more incentives to hit their 2-pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was replying mostly to this. It seemed to me that you didn't want them to call prefop where in fact you do want them to call and you don't care if they do hit 2 pair, because you will usually be ahead anyway. It takes a very lucky flop for someone to leave AA2x in the dust equity wise, but there are many flops where they will think they are ahead and put their money in as a dog. I love seeing AA2 and most AA hands with a wheel card in any position.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:17 PM

Ideally, I wanted to isolate against one of the maniacs.

In any case, the main problem is the stupid dealer throwing out garbage turn and river cards. I should at least get my rake back for that one.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:24 PM

I have a question for you. I may be a noob for bringing this up (non of the better posters did).

Why didn’t you rebuy when your stack was low? Doesn’t the site you play at support rebuys? I almost always rebuy if my stack goes below 20.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:48 PM

Last night involved several rebuys to go along with bricks on turns and river. I basically have zilcho in my account after recently re-loading, after my 24BB/hr became
-24BB/hr, blah.

I'm getting desperate and actually playing FPP freerolls regularly now. If anybody wants to see funny freeroll hands, check out my journal.